Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Help Me Make A Coffee Cream Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #11
PackerfaninSanDiego
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 6

after reading numerous ways to add coffee...brewed coffee is not the way to go. Cold press/cold steep or french press is the way to go. When coffee is brewed, it's around 190-195 degrees.........maybe steeping it with your grains will be ok?

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 02:09 AM   #12
Friedclutch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I did not get to brew the coffee stout this weekend as I hoped. This career crap is really getting in the way of brewing. Only got one day off this weekend. I did have time to at least brew the Falconers Flight hopped pale ale though. Shooting for this weekend if I can have 2 days off.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:11 AM   #13
Gavagai
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The trick with hot brewed coffee is to chill it as quickly as possible. The longer it stays hot the more quickly it will stale. If you want to add coffee during the brewing process, instead of adding it at the end of the boil, I would add it at the end of chilling. It shouldn't raise the temperature of the wort more than 5 degrees or so, but you'll want to account for that by chilling a little lower than you usually do.

That said, you really should be adding the coffee as close to bottling as possible. It doesn't like to age.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:12 AM   #14
vrynice
Recipes 

I am interested in how this turns out. Sounds like a awesome brew.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:54 AM   #15
Brewfunkyslim
Recipes 

I ran the numbers without the Pale Malt and it really did not change anything. So, I think I will be leaving it out since the LME already has it.

OG: 1.061
FG: 1.014
ABV: 6.1
Bitterness (IBU): 30.6
Color: 33.1

Also, I just learned I'm a hobo in a bank when it comes to choosing yeast. I have no clue what I'm doing there. I spent a lot of time reviewing White Labs yeasts but still have no idea how to really choose one. Do I need to be concerned about the maltyness being gone if FG is at 1.000 and will taste flat no matter what yeast I get? If so, how do I make sure I don't get that low?

I'm still not sure on the coffee addition timeline. It seems that we are torn between steeping - to end of boil - to tossing it in before bottling. I think we all agree that coffee beans half-life is pretty quick. I think the other piece of it was boiling causing this occurrence to be much more rapid. Steeping the beans sounds like the best approach as it will blend much better with the stout throughout the process but has the potential downside of getting stale during the aging process. Maybe I'll just throw it in the muslin bag when steeping the grains.

Does anyone have any recommendations on additional grains?

BTW - This brew is on deck to be brewed in 2 weeks (Feb. 9th). Finishing up a Raspberry Cream Ale now... its in the tertiary and so far so good.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:01 AM   #16
Brewfunkyslim
Recipes 

Friedclutch, what yeast were you thinking about using in your batch?

Old 01-30-2013, 06:40 AM   #17
Friedclutch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I am thinking white labs wlp001. BTW.. You will not reach 1.000 fg. Especially if using extract. I dont think its possible to ferment beer to 1.000. There will always be some sugar left. Even more so with stout.

Quick Reply