Last days to enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Help me doctor some Expired Coopers kits

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #11
Husher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobAgain View Post
I've got bubbles galore today. I let the first batch age 9 months and it was good. Planning to bottle condition and do the same with this one. I'll report back.
Please do. I'd appreciate it. I Guess I could age these in carboys for 9 months too. I'd just had to waste the capacity if it's not going to work out well. I'll be bottle conditioning as well for the last month of that estimate.

When whiffing the airlock, the bitter smells...bitter (ick) though the real ale smells like a dark (not sweet) beer. I just got a few good grain/extract beers and would prefer to have good stuff rather than go back to kits, or worse, bad kits.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #12
BobAgain
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Old (out of date) stout might work better for me - I enjoy heavy beers and I've got storage where I can let it sit and forget about it. There was a molasses note to the LME but that all works ok for me. I'm also toying with the idea of adding some chocolate to at least part of this batch somewhere along the way.

The wort went from requiring a blow-off to being quiet inside of 48 hours, which does have me puzzled. It occurs to me that I didn't check for impediments in the line, but it's in a bucket so I'm not quite as concerned about a mishap as I would be if it were in a carboy. I'll take a hydrometer reading today.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #13
BobAgain
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

FWIW, there was an issue with the lid. I put another sanitized lid and 3-piece airlock back on the bucket and it started showing 1 bubble/4 seconds and the specific gravity was 1.018. Pretty quiet the following day after the SG fell to 1.015-1.016 (bit of foam and the hyrdrometer seems to adhere a bit to the inside of the thief). All in all it's been 5 days and maybe time for secondary.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #14
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2417 Times on 2104 Posts
Likes Given: 1780

Make sure the beer is at a stable FG before racking anywhere.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #15
BobAgain
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Make sure the beer is at a stable FG before racking anywhere.
Thanks, Union. I think that the foam was the Star San inside of my thief/outside the hydrometer. I did let it sit one more day just to make sure, but I'm pretty sure that I'll be racking it today. I'm wondering about adding chocolate and/or coffee to this one. Ever had experience with that? All suggestions are always welcome.

BTW - thanks for that Buckeye Burton recipe. I think that's next up. I read some fellow saying that he was drinking 20 year old Burton and it was tasty as. Mine will never survive that length of time - but it might make 2-5 years. I've got a case of 22oz bottles for it.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #16
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

That Burton ale did take a couple months before it was good. Never used chovolate or coffee to a beer. But I brewed a robust porter with vanilla that's in bottles now. The odd half bottle was good. Roasty chocolaty vanilla flavors. Can't wait to get it in the fridge for Christmas. I wanna see how the flavors turn out.
Different cofee & chocolate flavors can be had by specialty grains used,color grains,etc as the websites call them. That's the brewer's way of getting those flavors. From the grains. I used chocolate malt with a little roasted barley & black patent among others to get those flavors. And mashing at 156F.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:13 AM   #17
BobAgain
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I posted on another thread today that my out of date Irish Stout experiment seems to have succeeded (at least for round 1); I used Creme de Cacao and some instant coffee in the bottling bucket and it is delicious.

The IPA, similarly out of date by a year and similarly fermented with new Nottingham, did not show as much vigor in the ferment and quit at 1018. Have to see how it works out.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:15 PM   #18
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Only high gravity beers will get better after 9-12 months. IPA's,pale ales & the like will loose their hop flavors & aromas long befor then. They should be enjoyed fresh.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #19
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 336 Times on 299 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Only high gravity beers will get better after 9-12 months. IPA's,pale ales & the like will loose their hop flavors & aromas long befor then. They should be enjoyed fresh.
I think he was talking about the kit, not the beer.

Actually, I think IPAs age well. They do change, and lose a lot of their up-front hoppiness, but stand up well to aging. The original IPA was made with a large amount of hops to act as a preservative for the long sea journey from England to India. It was never intended for quick/fresh consumption.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:57 PM   #20
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Yeah,I understand the kit(s) were old. but an English IPA differes from it's American cousin. Ours are best enjoyed fresh with all their up-front hoppiness.

Quick Reply