*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Help with Hefe brew, ingredient and re-using yeast questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2007, 05:37 PM   #11
tomek322
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsul
That's about the size of it! No sanitizing necessary because it was already sanitized the first time you used it (I hope anyway!). If you don't have one you will definitely want to rig a blow off setup. Beer B will be a pretty energetic ferment.
I brewed a hefe before and the blow off was excessive, i think i lost almost a gallon... how much more blow off can I get?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2007, 07:09 PM   #12
chthonik
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default mre-using yeast/barley and wheat

1. My buddies and I brewed a sort-of-weizenbock that used a 4lb can of liquid malt extract- 60/40 mix- and a 3.3lb can of light LME. This beer was (as you would expect) a lot loghter than a weizenbock, and settled much more than a true wheat-beer. However, due to the yeast (WLP300), it still had the classic hefeweizen taste. I'd say go ahead, expect a lighter than usual beer that settles more than a wheat but still tastes great, though not traditional.

2. The above beer was the second batch, on top of the cake from the previous (true) hefeweizen. We even out a third batch (a true dunkelweizen) on the same cake with no problems. In fact, excellent results! Both beers took off much faster than the original hefeweizen. Although the residue on the sides of the carboy looked gross, we didn't have any sanitation problems with any of these beers. If you find a yeast that you like, I'd heartily recommend fermenting a couple batches on the same cake.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:13 PM   #13
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomek322
I brewed a hefe before and the blow off was excessive, i think i lost almost a gallon... how much more blow off can I get?
It's hard to say, but do expect it to take off like a rocket. There won't be any real growth phase for the yeast so you'll see activity within a few hours usually.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Quick Reply