Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Help with Hefe brew, ingredient and re-using yeast questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2007, 03:19 PM   #1
tomek322
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Help with Hefe brew, ingredient and re-using yeast questions.

I was planning on brewing two hefe's in a row. I have two main questions.

1. LHBS only had 8# of Wheat extract. I picked up 6# of regular extract. Can I make hefe's using 4# of wheat and 3# of light? What can I expect the final beer to taste like? Or should I just wait until I can go all wheat?

2. I was planning to bottle from the primary and re-using the yeast from the first brew. How do I go about doing this? Do I just pour my second batch on top of the yeast left over from the first brew? Or do I have to go with the method of trying to seperate of the yeast from the leftover, starting a new starter and re pitching?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2007, 03:24 PM   #2
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

1. You can certainly split the extract like that. A lot of the wheat extracts are already 50/50 or 60/40 splits of wheat malt and pale malt though so you could be getting quite a bit less wheat than you think (your LHBS should be able to tell you). So while it won't be a true hefe it should still be tasty (the flavour comes almost entirely from the yeast afterall).

2. Rack your beer off the yeast cake into your bottling bucket as usual, then seal the primary back up (airlock and all) and then just rack your new brew right on top when you're finished brewing. Personally I've let the primary sit for 2 days before brewing the new beer but I think same-day is probably best (don't want to tempt fate too long).

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Last edited by bradsul; 06-06-2007 at 03:26 PM.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:24 PM   #3
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You should check, but most extracts labeled as "Wheat Extract" is actually something like 40% wheat and 60% 2-row. So, if this is the case you could use the wheat extract as 100% of your extract.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:34 PM   #4
tomek322
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What would I get if I used plain DME and 3068 yeast? Would it be pallatable? Anyone ever brew such a concoction? Another option is to brew one batch using the wheat and another using light ME.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:49 PM   #5
Turkeyfoot Jr.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. I was planning on brewing a hefe this weekend and I was splitting my extracts 50/50 between Vienna and Wheat. In checking Briess' site, their wheat is already 65% wheat and 35% barley. So in order to get back to my 50/50 I'm going to have to do some math. Thanks again!

Primary: EMPTY!
Bottled:
Kegged: Turkeyfoot English Mild

Old 06-06-2007, 04:10 PM   #6
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomek322
What would I get if I used plain DME and 3068 yeast? Would it be pallatable? Anyone ever brew such a concoction? Another option is to brew one batch using the wheat and another using light ME.
Depends on the DME. If you go with one of the wheat DME's you'll get a pretty nice hefeweizen (most of the wheat DME are 50/50 wheat/barley or 60/40 wheat barley). If you go with just standard pale DME you'll still get a nice beer (the flavour all comes from the yeast) but it won't be a hefe.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:46 PM   #7
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd split the malts in half (use equal amounts).

Much of the flavor is going to come from the yeast...especially if you use a German HW yeast.

Last edited by homebrewer_99; 06-07-2007 at 08:48 PM.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:03 PM   #8
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsul
...Personally I've let the primary sit for 2 days before brewing the new beer but I think same-day is probably best (don't want to tempt fate too long).
This is probably a good idea, though more than once I've done this after letting the cake sit in the carboy (with airlock) for over a week without any problems.

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 06-07-2007, 01:26 PM   #9
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsul
2. Rack your beer off the yeast cake into your bottling bucket as usual, then seal the primary back up (airlock and all) and then just rack your new brew right on top when you're finished brewing. Personally I've let the primary sit for 2 days before brewing the new beer but I think same-day is probably best (don't want to tempt fate too long).
I am getting ready to do the same thing and I just want to make sure that I am clear...Brew beer a, put it in primary and let it ferment....then transfer beer a to secondary or keg or whatever, then after brewing beer b, you just put it right on top of the trub that was left in primary from beer a? No sanitizing or anything?

Old 06-07-2007, 02:36 PM   #10
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbies
I am getting ready to do the same thing and I just want to make sure that I am clear...Brew beer a, put it in primary and let it ferment....then transfer beer a to secondary or keg or whatever, then after brewing beer b, you just put it right on top of the trub that was left in primary from beer a? No sanitizing or anything?
That's about the size of it! No sanitizing necessary because it was already sanitized the first time you used it (I hope anyway!). If you don't have one you will definitely want to rig a blow off setup. Beer B will be a pretty energetic ferment.

Quick Reply