Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Help Fermentation Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
misterthews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help Fermentation Problems

Ok the weather has been very cold here the last two weeks and I think that it has defiantly affected my fermentation process. I am fermenting an amber ale so Im assuming that the temp. should be in the 65-70 degree range. I dont know exactly how cold it has gotten in my house but I know that it has been very cold in the house lately.

So my question is, can I or should I add another packet of yeast and let it sit another two weeks? I have a feeling that the yeast has gotten too cold and isn't doing its job correctly. I took a SG reading today with a hydrometer and it read at 1.018. I know there is some type of correction that has to do with temp but I don't know how to do that.

What should I do?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 11:38 PM   #2
NateG
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Your actually getting pretty close to final gravity, I would say warm things up again and let it go for a few more days and recheck the gravity.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:46 PM   #3
Whut
Are you ready?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1626 Times on 1527 Posts
Likes Given: 8557

I can't find the link at the moment for the temp conversion but a quick Google search and you should be able to find it. That said, fermenting wort can be up to 10 degrees above ambient temp so unless your house is in the upper 40's my guess is that you're fine.

Get off my lawn! - shecky
Shut up, old man!- Sharona

Old 01-20-2012, 12:52 AM   #4
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterthews View Post
Ok the weather has been very cold here the last two weeks and I think that it has defiantly affected my fermentation process. I am fermenting an amber ale so Im assuming that the temp. should be in the 65-70 degree range. I dont know exactly how cold it has gotten in my house but I know that it has been very cold in the house lately.

So my question is, can I or should I add another packet of yeast and let it sit another two weeks? I have a feeling that the yeast has gotten too cold and isn't doing its job correctly. I took a SG reading today with a hydrometer and it read at 1.018. I know there is some type of correction that has to do with temp but I don't know how to do that.
Warm it up and the yeast should get back to work.

Google Hydrometer correction. You need to know the temperature of the sample. 60 F is the reference temperature. Below 60, you subtract, and above, you add to the reading. If you are between 50 and 70 F, don't worry about it; it's only 1 or 2 points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whutever View Post
That said, fermenting wort can be up to 10 degrees above ambient temp so unless your house is in the upper 40's my guess is that you're fine.
When fermentation slows down, the temperature drops back to ambient temp. That;s why a lot of beers get stuck when fermented in low temperatures.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1939 Times on 1701 Posts
Likes Given: 1431

Here's a hydrometer correction calculator; http://http://www.brewheads.com/gravcorrect.php
And it's very true that low ambient temps after initial fermentation can cause stalls. My Burton ale did that. Just gently swirl the FV to get some yeast back in suspension,then wrap a blanket or old winter coat around it to warm it up a little. It should start fermenting again.

Quick Reply