Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Help with/critique a Black IPA Extract recipe??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #21
treznor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerDude View Post
This is an important point to consider. I just charged blindly into remman4's recipe without taking the time to understand what a late addition of extract (or at flameout as with this recipe) does. So far it seems to have turned out well. But after the brew when I used a calculator to est the gravity and ibus I was shocked to see that the late addition took my ibus from around 90 to more like 180. And that site defined late addition as at 10-15 min, not at flameout as I did it. Granted the recipe did say 100+ ibus , but I guess I didn't know what i was getting myself into. That said so far the flavor is pretty good. Maybe a bit too much bittering hops for my taste, but I'm not a pure hophead either. I like hops, but probably more on the aromatic side. For what it's worth.
I know you were just agreeing with me, but I have to disagree with you (and my previous self). It looks like hop utilization isn't affected by wort gravity anywhere near as much as people thought a couple years ago. In the last two years most of the 'big names' in homebrewing (Palmer et al) have determined, based on a couple of studies, that hop utilization doesn't change that much based on wort gravity but more than likely based more on break material, which isn't really a huge concern for extract brewing.

The calculators, however, haven't caught up...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #22
RunnerDude
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by treznor View Post
I know you were just agreeing with me, but I have to disagree with you (and my previous self). It looks like hop utilization isn't affected by wort gravity anywhere near as much as people thought a couple years ago. In the last two years most of the 'big names' in homebrewing (Palmer et al) have determined, based on a couple of studies, that hop utilization doesn't change that much based on wort gravity but more than likely based more on break material, which isn't really a huge concern for extract brewing.

The calculators, however, haven't caught up...
Interesting. Thanks for letting me know. So my newly gained piece of knowledge was actually already out of date. Damn.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #23
RunnerDude
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by remman4 View Post
How much LME/DME are you using in total for your recipe?
Just saw your post. Not sure if this was directed at me or not. But for what it's worth, I followed the original recipe you posted. The only difference in malt was the liquid extract. The shop I went to didn't have Canadian two row so they subbed a generic light extract (might have been amber, I'd have to look at my notes).

Also, I never gave the final update on how mine came out. This seems pretty well carbed now. I had one two nights ago and sadly have to report it didn't come out all that well. I made so many changes, I don't think I can say that it's any fault of the original recipe. Most likely either my changes or other mistakes of a newbie brewer led it down the road of mediocrity. It's not bad, just nothing special. It's fairly bitter without much hop flavor or aroma. And there isn't much as far as other flavors either. It has a very mild sweetness, which could be nice but just doesn't' seem to balance out with the hop bitterness. Also it's kind of thin for a dark beer. If I had to do it over I think I'd stick with the Black Patent and personally I'd move more of the hops later in the hop schedule for less bittering and more aroma/flavor. Maybe my hop changes weren't good, but I went with what my shop had and their recommendations. The Chinook was my idea and I really can't say if that helped or hurt. On the upside, this strikes me as a beer that will age well. So, I'm going to be patient and try to wait another month or so and see how it is. My guess is that it will only improve from here.

Did you make another batch? I'd be interested to hear how it came out.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:25 AM   #24
remman4
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My next batch is in primary now and I just dry hopped it yesterday with the plans to bottle it next weekend

Sorry your luck was different, but I have had many batches under par but they are fewer and farther between these days

Old 01-30-2012, 12:36 AM   #25
RunnerDude
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, good luck. I'll hope to hear in a few weeks that it came out great.

I'm sure my beers will improve as my experience does. I'm excited to try my next one, I just haven't decided what it will be.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #26
remman4
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well it is too soon to tell what the mature flavor profile will be I can definitely say that this batch is Much more like an imperial stout than a black IPA.

I wonder if my boil and steep volumes were a lot lower last time through...

I will let it age for a few more weeks, but my initial impression is that my grain bill is too assertive in my original recipe

I will keep you posted

Old 02-22-2012, 02:13 AM   #27
RunnerDude
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Interesting. Mine did taste a fair amount like a very hopped up version of the stout I made. I figured they were similar grains from the same store and I used the same bucket which wasn't perhaps cleaned as well as it should have been. But if you had the same thought. Perhaps there's more to it. When you say the grain bill is too assertive, do you mean there was too much grain or are you referring to the selection of grains?

As an aside, since I had this thought myself I started wondering what the difference between a black IPA and a hopped up stout really is. They seem like they have pretty similar ingredients.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:41 AM   #28
remman4
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I meant too much grain and possibly too many roasted grains

I will keep you posted

Old 06-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #29
RunnerDude
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by remman4 View Post
Well it is too soon to tell what the mature flavor profile will be I can definitely say that this batch is Much more like an imperial stout than a black IPA.

I wonder if my boil and steep volumes were a lot lower last time through...

I will let it age for a few more weeks, but my initial impression is that my grain bill is too assertive in my original recipe

I will keep you posted
I had forgotten to update this thread, but after 4+ months in the bottle this beer is very different. It's fairly good, but doesn't really taste like a Black IPA any longer. It has gotten very sweet (almost syrupy so perhaps just a bit too sweet) and the hop character that was so prominent at first has faded a good deal. In fact the hops have become a fairly subtle secondary characteristic. Someone who tried it thought it tasted more like a Scotch Ale. I don't totally agree, but I can certainly see where he's coming from. The alcohol taste has gotten very strong too (in a pleasant way). This made me think of your comment about an Imperial Stout. Mine's too sweet to fall into that category, but I can see what you mean I think. Also the last one I had poured a massive head and was overflowing. Not sure why it would be more carbed now than after 2 months in the bottle.

I am wondering if I'm storing the bottles in too warm a place. It's at the bottom of a staircase to the basement which is just about the coolest part of the house I have access to. But it might get as warm as mid 70s down there. I would guess it's high 60s-low70s most of the time in the summer. And the temp down there is probably fairly stable.

Quick Reply