Help- brewing advice!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am doing a sawtooth ale clone:

Brewing Method: Extract
Yeast: 1098 British - WYeast=20
Batch Size: 5 Gallons
Total Grains: 1.5 pounds
Hop IBU's:=20
Boiling Time: 45 minutes
Primary Fermentation: 3 days
Secondary Fermentation: 3 weeks

Grain Bill:
1lb 40L Crystal
1/2 lb Victory (toasted)
3lbs Pale Extract
3lbs Munich Extract

Hop Bill:
1.5 oz Fuggle (45 min boil)
1.5 oz Golding (15 min boil)
1 oz Golding (end of boil)

Mash Schedule:
Steep grains in water 15-20 minutes at about 120-180 degrees.
Remove and add malt extracts.
Bring to boil.

Total Boiling time 45 minutes.
Add 1.5 oz of fuggle at beginning of boil
Add 1.5 oz Golding when 15 minutes left in boil
Add 1 oz Golding at the end of the boil.

Let cool to under 80 degrees and pitch yeast. Aerate well! Shake the snot out of the primary! Primary fermentation lasts about 3 days. Rack to secondary and ferment for another 2 - 3 weeks.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Here are my questions: The victory malt didn't come toasted- should I just pop in on a cookie sheet and toast? How temp, how long?

I ordered LME. 6 pounds LME seems kind of light to me. What kind of o.g. would I get?

Thanks so much!

6 lbs LME @ 7.2 points = about a 1.043, maybe another 3-4 points from the crystal. Victory doesn't add much unless mashed.

And you can edit/save 3 recipes using ProMash. After that you can only edit...still crunches the numbers just fine. IMO ProMash is indispensable.

Looks like a tasty recipe.

I'll be in your neck of the woods (w/ SWMBO) for a spell the end of the month...think I'll have to stock up on some micro's in addition to the homebrew for the trip. Bloody hard to find a good micro up there...

Looks like a great recipe for a light, flavorful ale. I'd highly recommend Beer Smith for calculating recipe specifics. Only $20, and it seems easier to use than Pro Mash. The online recipator has gotten a lot of attention recently, too.

I didn't realize you could use Promash for free- I'll try it. I'm strictly an extract/steeping grains brewer, so I didn't think I'd "need" it. But I'd like to claculate the IBU's and o.g. and learn a little more.

I got an o.g. of these brew of 1.046. Smells fantastic! (I snuck a little taste of my cooled wort- and it's going to be a good one!)

Exo- I started brewing my own beer because of the lack of good brews up here! Miller Lite (or worse- Old Style Light) is a big favorite here. Our favorite neighborhood bar got Sprecher Special Amber for us to drink- a few others drink it too, so he might keep it. Otherwise, nada.

Thanks for all the help- this forum is great!

Lorena

First off, stay the HELL away from the calculator on the Recipator. They might have good recipe databases, but their calculator is junk. I entered TEN freakin' ounces of hops, for the full period of the boil, and it said that I'd have a finished IBU of 56. Pfft. Junk. Get ProMash. I don't do any All-Grain, just P/M and extract/steeping...I still find it indespensible. Before I got it, I was afraid to create my own recipes, because I had no idea how they'd turn out. Now, I can make whatever I want, and still keep it within style guidelines. Freakin' sweet. Not to mention the fact that you can keep track of your entire ingredient inventory (when you brew a batch and "finalize" your inventory, it automatically deletes the stuff you used!) Yeah, you can use the demo for free, but I did that for about an hour...and I had no choice but to plunk down the measly $25.

Evan! said:
First off, stay the HELL away from the calculator on the Recipator. They might have good recipe databases, but their calculator is junk. I entered TEN freakin' ounces of hops, for the full period of the boil, and it said that I'd have a finished IBU of 56.

Makes sense if you're boiling 2 gallons of wort and then dilluting it with water up to the 5 gallons. The Recipator calculator seems to work fine for me.

Catfish said:
Makes sense if you're boiling 2 gallons of wort and then dilluting it with water up to the 5 gallons. The Recipator calculator seems to work fine for me.
Where've you been? We haven't head from you in months...sounds like you're fine though...not Shanghai'd or anything (they can't turn you into sushi since you're made of meat, but there's always Soylent Green). Later.:D

Back