The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Help with a Big Barleywine based off my Ipswich Ale recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2007, 06:03 PM   #21
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon
I said that they lend themselves to extract, not that it was impossible to go AG. Anything is possible, but the guy mentioned only having 1 - 5 gallon pot. My understanding of AG is that you would need a lot more than that reduced down to 5 gallons. It could be done, but it would require doing at least 2 seperate batches and combining them after they had both reduced over a fairly long time. A fun project if you have 12 hours or so.
Not necessarily. Another option is to use more grain, collect the mash and use that without the sparge runnings.

A normal 12 pounds of grain will get you an OG of around 1.075 or so with the mash. Usually, this is then combined with the second runnings from the sparge which dilutes it. The answer? Don't sparge.

So maybe instead of 12 pounds, you do 16 pounds of grain to get you to 1.09X or something. You don't need to collect a lot more wort. Just collect 6 gallons or so. And if your pot is 5 gallons, then boil 5 gallons down to 4, then add the last gallon of wort. It won't boil for the full hour, but I have been doing batches this way and it works well enough so long as you get a 30 minute or so boil out of it and get rid of the second hot break.

Also, if you want, (and I would strongly recommend this) you can then sparge all that grain and use the second runnings to make another, lighter, beer. That is, if you have 10 hours to make 2 batches.

Last edited by Sir Humpsalot; 07-11-2007 at 06:05 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2007, 12:18 AM   #22
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I had heard of not spargeing, and it is interesting given how cheap grain is!

Could somone theoretically do AG with a large boiling bag and a huge pot? I am sure there are threads in AG but people here would like to know. Maybe I will post a new thread, but for somone to try AG cheap as possible, what are the bare bones?

Old 07-12-2007, 12:27 AM   #23
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Barebones would be two 5-7 gallon plastic buckets with small holes drilled in the bottom of the inner bucket.

Heat your water, add your grain, let it sit for an hour, stirring occasionally, then lift the inner bucket out and you have your wort.

Of course, there are numerous improvements to this process, but that's the barebones....

Old 07-12-2007, 01:54 AM   #24
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Much thanks! I think that your info is good but few extract brewers will see it here! If you don't mind I will start a new thread. PS what is with the squirrels? You don't grow peppers do you?

Old 07-12-2007, 02:07 AM   #25
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Nah... it's just something my mom always used to say. To this day, it gives me a chuckle.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:13 AM   #26
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Definitely funny!

Quick Reply