Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Help with a Big Barleywine based off my Ipswich Ale recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2007, 11:13 PM   #11
RoaringBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

"As for the batch size, it's 5 gallons. And I figured the IBU's for a *full boil*"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2007, 05:52 AM   #12
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

My kettle holds 5.5 gallons. I do 5 gallon batches, but I cheat a little. I hold back about a gallon of the wort. With 30 minutes left, I add it. Sure, that wort doesn't get the full 1 hour boil, but it's a somewhat small percentage of the wort and it does boil for 30 minutes which, though not ideal, is perfectly adequate. I'm doing all grain here, but there would be nothing keeping a Partial Masher from just adding a gallon of water at the end. Sure, it will reduce your hops utilization a little, but not as much as if you were only boiling 2 gallons or something.

Sorry I didn't give the "full" details of my recipe. I was pressed for time. Remember, that recipe is just something I threw together based on my meager experience, which I thought would fit the bill. It's based upon my knowledge of british beers in general and barleywines, mostly gleaned from BarleyWine by Fal Allen, and Designing Great Beers, as well as my taste tests. I think it would make a unique and pleasing beer.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:01 AM   #13
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkkyBrew
I'd like to do a barleywine as well and much prefer the english style, so your recipe looks attractive toot. What kind of boil size is that recipe for? I normally do partial boils...

With 11oz. hops, I'd assume its for a partial boil, but what do I know? And I still don't know if its 1.5g, 2g, 3g, or more...
High gravity reduces the perceived bitterness. There's a lot of malty sweetness to fight through. So 70-some IBU's in a barleywine isn't too insane. Besides, this beer will be aged and hops bitterness diminishes substantially with age, so that needs to be taken into account. The beer you bottle will not be the beer you drink in 6 months. Also, the OP stated he like hoppy beers. I would personally place the bar to the definition of hoppy somewhere around 35-40 IBU's. This is more intense, but not out of line given the higher strength and longer aging.

Remember too, these hops are all fairly low alpha acid. It's not like I'm loading it up with Northern Brewer and Amarillo or something. So the beer should get a nice good hop flavor that 2 or 3 ounces of any variety just wouldn't provide. I'm thinking it's not all just about bitterness. Flavor means something too.

Quote:
*Aside* - This is the one thing that always seems to bother me when people post recipes with no boil volumes, etc. I'm sure I could figure out the boil volume by plugging the recipe into my beersmith software and messing with boil volume until I hit that IBU (although that is difficult, if not nearly impossible due to the late addition of extract and no way to compensate in beersmith for it), but just curious why noone ever posts the boil volumes for their recipes as it greatly effects hop utilization, etc. Or is it just assumed to be a full boil unless noted otherwise? I can see some recipes turning out veryyyy bad if you brewed something meant for a partial boil as full or vice versa. For example, I needed to use about 7oz. of hops or so for an IPA I made using partial boil, however if I used the same amount in a full boil it would have been very excessively bitter and out of balance.
11 ounces in a full boil. Personally, I figure people will interpret their recipe with their own tastes in mind. Hop heads will assume a full boil, malt lovers will assume a 1 gallon boil or something. Personally, I intended a full boil, but when it comes right down to it, what do I know? I've never brewed that recipe. If the hops seem too much for you, tone them down a little...

Old 05-11-2007, 02:32 PM   #14
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

^ I understand the concept of "matching" IBU levels to malty-sweetness levels (i.e. perceived bitterness). 70 actually doesn't seem that bad to me for a 8-9-10% brew. I really didn't take the time to figure it out based on the alpha levels of those hops, etc. 11oz. just looked like a big number, so I assumed it was to compensate for a partial boil. If it's for full boil, that's all good as well. I wasn't meaning to attack you or anything, it's just my pet peeve when people seem to never mention boil volume even though it's one of the most important aspects of a recipe. No offense bro. I plan to brew that recipe up when I get a free weekend (man does brewing become hard in summer when I have vacations, day-trips, car-meets, and tons of other stuff going on. Boo!). Thanks for posting it up!

Old 07-09-2007, 06:11 PM   #15
butler1850
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Squirrels
For $25 you could build this... Mini 2 gallon MLT.
Well,

I bought the cooler, I've printed a photo of the parts along with the parts list. Looks like this'll be in construction soon, and in use after the next brew. I picked up the North American "CloneBrews" book, and his recipes there are all in PM, so this became the time to upgrade.

$15 for a 3gallon cooler with the same dimensions as the one you linked to...

The recipe you provided will probably be brewed this fall.

Thanks,

-Butler

Old 07-09-2007, 11:28 PM   #16
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Awesome!!! I'm glad to hear you're going forward with it!!!!!!

And I suppose now is a good time to discuss my fee.......

Old 07-10-2007, 09:51 PM   #17
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My understanding is that Barleywine and imperial stout lend themselve more to an all extract recipe due the high gravity desired and the amount you would have to reduce grain wort to get the desired concentration. I have made several imperial stouts but never a barley wine. The hops sound good to me though.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:34 AM   #18
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Extract makes it easier.. but AG is possible too...

It's like saying you can't make Root Beer from extract... well yeah that's sorta true, but you really can... it just takes a bit more effort... but that's always true of AG

Old 07-11-2007, 05:00 PM   #19
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I said that they lend themselves to extract, not that it was impossible to go AG. Anything is possible, but the guy mentioned only having 1 - 5 gallon pot. My understanding of AG is that you would need a lot more than that reduced down to 5 gallons. It could be done, but it would require doing at least 2 seperate batches and combining them after they had both reduced over a fairly long time. A fun project if you have 12 hours or so. I unfortunately do not, (Ihave 2 small childeren) so my mind works towards a more timely end. Not usually the absolute best method to be sure! But at least I get to brew!

Old 07-11-2007, 05:28 PM   #20
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

My choice for high gravity beers is a large partial mash. I've got a 5gal cooler and 7.5gal turkey fryer which allow ~1.050 AG beers. To do my 1.096 Belgian I plan on adding 4-5# of extract and sugar.

The one problem with doing a big extract beer is that you will usually end up with a high FG unless you add sugar. With AG you can mash at a lower temp to get a more fermentable wort that should finish lower. I'm hoping by getting better than half of my fermentables from a mash I can keep my FG at a reasonable level.
Craig

Quick Reply