Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Help with a Big Barleywine based off my Ipswich Ale recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2007, 02:00 PM   #1
butler1850
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help with a Big Barleywine based off my Ipswich Ale recipe

Hi all,

I'm considering brewing up and putting away a big barleywine for wintertime drinking before the temps heat up too much and confuse my brewing.

I currently have a batch of my Refugee Ale* in the primary, and it's ready for either a secondary, or bottling (about 3 weeks in primary). It'll probably go to the secondary for a nice dry hopping prior to bottling. But... I have a big cake of yeast, that would work just fine to start off a Barleywine version.

Help me scale this up! I know it'll change the tastes away from the traditional brew, and I've brewed an 8% version of this, which pretty damn good... needs more time in the bottles (if there is any left). It's been tough to keep my hands off of them.

Help me go BIG. Help me go hoppy!

I don't mind doing loads of grains (towards PM), but my equipment is simple (5gal kettle, with chiller once I actually put the parts together)

I'd certainly consider any wild ideas here as well... adding a load of wheat to this, etc...

* Standard Refugee Ale recipe. This is a clone of "Ipswich Ale," and it pretty close, I'm still tweaking details.

6.6 lb light LME
.5 lbs 40 L Crystal
.25 lb Munich
.75 oz Galena (boil)
1 oz Willamette (finish)
Wyeast 1028 London Ale Yeast (This time, I'm using easYeast American Ale yeast, a local NH based yeast)
O.G 1.052
FG 1.013 ABV 5.2%
(Qbrew gives 38 Bitterness. Not sure how to calculate IBU, or standard readings)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2007, 02:04 PM   #2
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

How big of a mash can you do? I've been thinking about something a little out of the ordinary that you might appreciate...

Old 05-09-2007, 03:54 PM   #3
butler1850
Recipes 

I have a 5 gallon (20 quart) kettle.

I have strainers... I have no tuns, sparge plumbing, nor interest in building a large kit.

I also know nothing about PM, but always have some steeped grains in my recipes.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:04 PM   #4
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Can you aerate your wort? Do you have access to O2?

Will you be pitching on a yeast cake, or making a starter?

Would you be willing/able to spend $25 on a small partial mash set up that isn't much larger than a shoebox? What about $10 for something that will fit inside your tennis shoe? If you own a cooler, you can mash in it with no modification to the cooler and probably less than $10 in parts. Or you could use a bucket and achieve the same... For $25 you could build this... Mini 2 gallon MLT. For $10, you could just buy the hardware (plus some extra tubing) and if you aren't too fussy about temps, do a mash in a plastic bucket that you already have.

Give us some examples of other beers you like...

Last edited by Sir Humpsalot; 05-09-2007 at 04:14 PM.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:17 PM   #5
butler1850
Recipes 

I usually aerate with a vigorous pour from the kettle to carboy, then add tap water to bring to 5 gal. I also generally give a VERY vigorous whisk to the wort pre-pour into the carboy. No O2... yet (see next line)

I'm not sure I can get any more equipment at this point, SWMBO may not like that, regardless of expense. But, I might be able to sneak the cooler/mini MLT into the setup.

I'm a fan of pretty much every beer I've had, though stouts/porters are not my favorites, Guiness is good, but many that I've had aren't to my liking.. I'm also not a big fan of nut-browns, as I find them too sweet. I like my beer big, bold, hoppy, and on the bitter side.

For this brew, if I can figure out a recipe/process by Friday or so, it'd be pitched onto a yeast cake that'll be 3 weeks in primary on Saturday (perhaps 4, can't remember exactly). I was thinking of somehow just scaling up the recipe in the OP to take advantage of this.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:48 PM   #6
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Ok, for your methods, forget much over 9%ABV and you'd better have a good yeast cake built up or you can forget about this... Here's my suggestion, very much in the British (bitter) style of barleywine... How does 11 ounces of hops sound?

9 pounds Light LME (added at the last 10 minutes of boil, if you can manage it)
2.0 lbs Pale Maris Otter
0.5 lbs Carapils
2 lbs crystal 40
0.5 lb clear candy sugar

1 oz EKG @60
1 oz Fuggles @60
1 oz EKG @ 45
1 oz EKG @ 30
1 oz Fuggles @ 20
1 oz EKG @ 15
1 oz Fuggles @10
1 oz EKG @ 5
1 oz Fuggles @ 0
2 oz Fuggles Dryhop

OG 1.089
FG 1.020
70.8 IBU's
9.0% ABV

Other Notes:
Re-Aerate the wort after 24-48 hours. Without using pure O2, you're really going to be challenging the yeast.
Dry hop in secondary.
Age in bottles for at least 6-8 months

Feel free to substitute Willamette for Fuggles. I would avoid the Galena at such high bitterness levels as I understand that it tends to start tasting a little bit off at high IBU's.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:55 PM   #7
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'd like to do a barleywine as well and much prefer the english style, so your recipe looks attractive toot. What kind of boil size is that recipe for? I normally do partial boils...

With 11oz. hops, I'd assume its for a partial boil, but what do I know? And I still don't know if its 1.5g, 2g, 3g, or more...

*Aside* - This is the one thing that always seems to bother me when people post recipes with no boil volumes, etc. I'm sure I could figure out the boil volume by plugging the recipe into my beersmith software and messing with boil volume until I hit that IBU (although that is difficult, if not nearly impossible due to the late addition of extract and no way to compensate in beersmith for it), but just curious why noone ever posts the boil volumes for their recipes as it greatly effects hop utilization, etc. Or is it just assumed to be a full boil unless noted otherwise? I can see some recipes turning out veryyyy bad if you brewed something meant for a partial boil as full or vice versa. For example, I needed to use about 7oz. of hops or so for an IPA I made using partial boil, however if I used the same amount in a full boil it would have been very excessively bitter and out of balance.

Last edited by RoaringBrewer; 05-10-2007 at 12:57 PM.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:11 PM   #8
Moonpile

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toot
9 pounds Light LME (added at the last 10 minutes of boil, if you can manage it)
2.0 lbs Pale Maris Otter
0.5 lbs Carapils
2 lbs crystal 40
0.5 lb clear candy sugar

If you're going to use the Maris Otter, I think you'll have to mash it. I only say this b/c it's listed as Mash Required on the malts chart (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Malts_Chart).

Moon

Old 05-10-2007, 05:11 PM   #9
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

I assumed it would be a partial mash. That's a mash as far as the grains are concerned. I guess I'm trying to push the OP towards that mini-MLT.

As for the batch size, it's 5 gallons. And I figured the IBU's for a full boil Note the 70-something IBU's. Hey. He said he likes it hoppy.

With that said, I never brewed the recipe... just worked it up over about 10 minutes in brewsmith.

Cheers!

Old 05-10-2007, 06:36 PM   #10
butler1850
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toot
I assumed it would be a partial mash. That's a mash as far as the grains are concerned. I guess I'm trying to push the OP towards that mini-MLT.

As for the batch size, it's 5 gallons. And I figured the IBU's for a full boil Note the 70-something IBU's. Hey. He said he likes it hoppy.

<snip>
Cheers!
5gal batch, or 5 gal boil? Not much room to maneuver with regard to boilover in my 5 gal kettle.

I'm assuming 5 gal batch, with no comment on boil size (usually I'm doing 2-3gal).

Otherwise, the recipe looks interesting... And the mini-MLT is alos a possibility. (Can you provide the instructions on use as they regard to this recipe as well? I'm completely new to PM)

Quick Reply