Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just added LME and as the wort heats up all these clumps keep showing up. Does anyone know what's wrong with it?

Before I added the LME I steeped 1 pound of 2-row and .5 pound of crystal 40 ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407884410.524090.jpg

Yeah, looks like your hot break. What temp did you steep your 2-row at and for how long? 2 row should be mashed to get any benefit from it. A mash is basically steeping grains at 146-156°F for an hour.

Typically part of the extract is added after the liquor has reached a boil. Protein clumps would have been dispersed and adsorbed.

I steeped it at 155 for 30 minutes

That's fine.

You've got some break material, that's all. That is exactly what is supposed to happen. It's made up of coagulated proteins that you don't want in your finished beer, so it's great that it's globbed up like that so gravity can pull them out with the trub in the end. Don't worry!

And, when you chill the wort you should have 'cold break'- same type of thing but bigger goobers.

Should I strain them out before I put it in the fermenter?

I don't, as I don't have a good enough filter or a way to do it, but some folks do. Either way is fine- even though it looks like a lot of big goobers right now, it'll compact down with the trub and you won't even notice it later on.

And, the good news is that in general, the better the hot and cold break, the clearer and more stable the beer in the end. You're getting great protein coagulation. Without that, your beer would probably have chill haze and other protein haze issues.

Back