Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Hefeweizen (White Labs Yeast)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2006, 04:27 AM   #1
McKBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Hefeweizen (White Labs Yeast)

Brewing my first Hefe, and just went to check on it. I am fermenting in a 6 gallon better bottle using the White Labs American Hefeweizen Yeast. To my surprise I found that the krausen had reached the top and was bubbling out of the airlock. Only maybe a couple of ounces had came out.

I don't have a blow-off tube (lesson learned), but I stuck a sanitized small diameter tube through the center of the stopper and ran it to a bucket.

I thought I was at peak fermentation earlier, but obviously not. Can anyone tell me whether or not it is going to get worse, or taper off soon. I have had it fermenting since about noon yesterday, and the activity started sometime after 9PM last night.

Thanks.

Make Beer, Not War.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2006, 04:53 AM   #2
Spyk'd

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

This is normal with wheats and can last for days. My Hefe I had in a 6.5 gallon carboy, filled to the 5.5 gallon mark bubbled through the airlock for 48 hours after pitching.

I've done many Hefe's and most of mine come close to coming through the airlock, but this is the first to actually come through it. I suppose it was due to my mega starter I had going....it was 1/2 a gallon!

Just make sure you keep everything clean and sanitized and you'll be okay.

American Red
Keg Conditioning:
Gruit
On Tap:
ESB
Bottled:
Nada...
On Deck:
Porter, Belgian Abbey Ale

Old 12-23-2006, 05:53 PM   #3
flippindiscs
Recipes 

Just make sure your tube does not get clogged or else you will have one gigantic grenade. Your wife will not find this funny or amusing I can tell you that.

Old 12-23-2006, 06:38 PM   #4
McKBrew

Recipes 

Default Keeping SWMBO Happy

She already doesn't like the sulphur smell, God help me if we had to empty and clean out the pantry. As it is, I don't think I will be fermenting a hefe inside the house again.

Looks like the activity has died down a bit, fortunately.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:18 AM   #5
G-E-R-M-A-N
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok I am about to be brewing heff for my first brew ever, and I am kinda worried about the airlock. Any tips on blow off tubes? I will still be reading my book while hunting (how to brew beer) before I start, but had a couple questions.

I have a little packet of yeast, which I am going to activate later with some stuff called bru-vigor. (what is bru-vigor?).

I also have a clear container of some very thick syrup type material. (What is this)

I have another can of hopped malt concentrate by coopers for wheat beer.

I also have a small packet of some german hallertauer mittelfrueh hops.

Do you guys see heff in my future?

Old 12-28-2006, 01:22 AM   #6
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I do my All Grain Bavarian Hefeweizens in a 7.9 gallon bucket. No airlock problems as there is enough head space for the massive kreuzen.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 12-28-2006, 11:20 PM   #7
McKBrew

Recipes 

Default Airlocks and Hefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-E-R-M-A-N
Ok I am about to be brewing heff for my first brew ever, and I am kinda worried about the airlock. Any tips on blow off tubes? I will still be reading my book while hunting (how to brew beer) before I start, but had a couple questions.

I have a little packet of yeast, which I am going to activate later with some stuff called bru-vigor. (what is bru-vigor?).

I also have a clear container of some very thick syrup type material. (What is this)

From what I limited experience I've had and from reading other posts about Hefe, you will want a blow-off tube or a larger fermenter. The blow-off just needs to be something that fits in the neck of the carboy tightly, and then drain the overflow to a bucket.

Your thick syrup is likely your liquid malt extract, and I have never heard of bru-vigor but from you description it sounds like a yeast nutrient.

Are you working with a recipe kit?

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:32 AM   #8
mjm76
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-E-R-M-A-N

You may want to consider using a different yeast. To my knowledge a "bavarian hefeweizen" style beer is more dependent on the yeast used than an ordinary ale. The strain(s) of yeast used to make these are indigenous to Southern Germany and produce the charachteristic aromas and flavors as well as the cloudy appearance. There are two good ones available the White Labs Hefeweizen strain and the Wyeast Weinstephan. If you are shooting for the "authentic" style you might consider either of those. That being said you will still produce a very good and drinkable beer with the ingredients that you already have.

Primary #1 Munich Helles

Primary #2 Nichts

Secondary #1 Nichts

Secondary #2 Mezza Luna Red wine (kit)

Secondary #3 Maerzen

Secondary #4 English Barleywine

Bottled: Traditional Dry Mead, Dry Cider, Honey Koelsch, Doppelbock, Barolo Wine

On the Horizon: Scotch ale, Rauchbier

Old 01-02-2007, 06:41 PM   #9
G-E-R-M-A-N
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm76
You may want to consider using a different yeast. To my knowledge a "bavarian hefeweizen" style beer is more dependent on the yeast used than an ordinary ale. The strain(s) of yeast used to make these are indigenous to Southern Germany and produce the charachteristic aromas and flavors as well as the cloudy appearance. There are two good ones available the White Labs Hefeweizen strain and the Wyeast Weinstephan. If you are shooting for the "authentic" style you might consider either of those. That being said you will still produce a very good and drinkable beer with the ingredients that you already have.

You know the more I have been reading the more I think im gonna go with a german liquid yeast. When I go back to get me a large brewpot, Im gonna pick up a liquid yeast. It would seem that to replicate a true german style heff, that i would need the same yeast and not a general ale yeast. I am not really sure , but do they even have a specific dry heff yeast?

I am not working with a recipe kit, but more or less a general instruction from the local brewshop here in houston.
I am not saying that the recipe will not work, but I am afraid it is more geared toward non wheat beers.

I have been reading up on brewing with extracts some, why is it that the kit came with 2 malts? When boiling the wort, do you just add both of them together at once?

Old 01-02-2007, 07:22 PM   #10
McKBrew

Recipes 

Default Hefeweizen

Without knowing what ingredients are in the second container, I would guess that you have the wheat malt, and probably a regular malt extract. Since a hefeweizen only needs a certain percentage of wheat malt in order to be considered a hefe, the other portion can be another type of extract.

Also your wheat malt has the hops added to it, vice you adding hops to the recipe yourself.

Just make sure when you buy your yeast (and I am sure you have heard it more than once lately), to make a starter. Also be prepared for a strong sulfur smell for the first few days. (Important if you have a SWMBO and you are fermenting in the house).

Good Luck on your hefeweizen.

Make Beer, Not War.

Quick Reply