The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Hefeweizen Recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #21
Wort_Cleaver
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I brewed this recipe as initially outlined (without the Irish moss). Pitched one pack of Wyeast 3068. Fermented most of the time around 68, but did drop it down to 65-66 for a few days mid-fernentation, then brought it back to 68 to finish. Was done fermenting at 11 days, bottled after 2 weeks primary. Cracked the first one last Thursday about 2 weeks after bottling.

The color came out a little darker than I would have liked - more like a Schneider Weisse Original than a Weihenstephaner. I attribute this to my 3 gallon stovetop boil as opposed to a full boil. Had a decent head after only 2 weeks of carbing, but retention was a bit lacking at this point.

BUT - the aroma and taste were spot on with what I was going for. It smelled and tasted amazing, and I can't wait to share this one at my Oktoberfest blowout in 3 weeks. I'm just hoping I can restrain myself from sneaking bottles in the meantime as hefe's are one of my personal favorites.

I'll try to attach a picture of the final product. Not the best taken with my phone, and the flash makes it look a little darker than in person. In any case, I would definitely brew this again with the only change being a full volume boil if I ever decide to spring for the turkey frier. Hope yours turns out just as good for you.

image-1166084888.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #22
papa87
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

So here is a rather comical (unless you're me) situation. As a noob one of my favorite beers is hefe. So for my first ever batch I searched for a recipe and went with the poster's recipe. As expected some errors here and there, but one in particular stands out as embarrasing. Instead of 6.6 lbs of extract I only did one can (don't ask me how I interpreted the 2nd as optional), all else remained pretty much steady with the recipe aside from safbrew WB06 yeast instead of the Wyeast. Anyhow, aside from a post to get a good laugh out of, QUESTION #1- can anyone take a crack at a ballpark outcome here in terms of taste/palatability, if say all else was done properly? I mean obviously the ABV plummets big time, (down to like 3-3.5 at best from what ive read). Curious if it even has the potential of turning out a decent "Extra Light Wheat" or something. QUESTION #2- Live with it/finish it out, or attempt tossing in some sugar/extract/honey 3-4 days into fermentation to get ABV up and even it out? Thanks guys, I know this is all pretty silly

Old 10-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #23
papa87
Recipes 

3.3 lbs of LME and the grains mentioned, to clarify

Old 10-04-2012, 07:48 AM   #24
wormraper
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa87 View Post
So here is a rather comical (unless you're me) situation. As a noob one of my favorite beers is hefe. So for my first ever batch I searched for a recipe and went with the poster's recipe. As expected some errors here and there, but one in particular stands out as embarrasing. Instead of 6.6 lbs of extract I only did one can (don't ask me how I interpreted the 2nd as optional), all else remained pretty much steady with the recipe aside from safbrew WB06 yeast instead of the Wyeast. Anyhow, aside from a post to get a good laugh out of, QUESTION #1- can anyone take a crack at a ballpark outcome here in terms of taste/palatability, if say all else was done properly? I mean obviously the ABV plummets big time, (down to like 3-3.5 at best from what ive read). Curious if it even has the potential of turning out a decent "Extra Light Wheat" or something. QUESTION #2- Live with it/finish it out, or attempt tossing in some sugar/extract/honey 3-4 days into fermentation to get ABV up and even it out? Thanks guys, I know this is all pretty silly
got a couple options. I wouldn't add in sugar since that will dry out and thin your beer while adding ABV. what you COULD do is sanitize and add in about 3 lbs of LME to the mix since you're only 3-4 days in the process, plenty of yeasties to eat through that much... OR you can just have a nice light hefe
Old 10-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #25
papa87
Recipes 

thanks i kind of inadvertently jacked this thread and didnt mean to. i started a new one in beginners beer forum yesterday about my problem in detail. titled "ABV tampering advice, what do you think?". the consensus i'm gathering is for the most part pitch in some boiled dme, and the yeast will kick up the ABV in the end, to a reasonable %.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #26
mikecshultz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wort_Cleaver
I brewed this recipe as initially outlined (without the Irish moss). Pitched one pack of Wyeast 3068. Fermented most of the time around 68, but did drop it down to 65-66 for a few days mid-fernentation, then brought it back to 68 to finish. Was done fermenting at 11 days, bottled after 2 weeks primary. Cracked the first one last Thursday about 2 weeks after bottling.

The color came out a little darker than I would have liked - more like a Schneider Weisse Original than a Weihenstephaner. I attribute this to my 3 gallon stovetop boil as opposed to a full boil. Had a decent head after only 2 weeks of carbing, but retention was a bit lacking at this point.

BUT - the aroma and taste were spot on with what I was going for. It smelled and tasted amazing, and I can't wait to share this one at my Oktoberfest blowout in 3 weeks. I'm just hoping I can restrain myself from sneaking bottles in the meantime as hefe's are one of my personal favorites.

I'll try to attach a picture of the final product. Not the best taken with my phone, and the flash makes it look a little darker than in person. In any case, I would definitely brew this again with the only change being a full volume boil if I ever decide to spring for the turkey frier. Hope yours turns out just as good for you.
Did you end up waiting for the last 15 min to add the second half of the DME? Or did you add it all at once?

Old 10-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #27
Wort_Cleaver
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I waited to add the second half of the DME in the last 15 minutes. Color still came out darker than I'd like. I guess that's common with extract brewing, especially partial volume. But other than that, I gotta say it's pretty good. We'll see what others think this weekend when it's consumed in mass quantities along with a homebrewed Oktoberfest and Kölsch.

If anyone else brews the recipe, especially with a full volume boil, I'd be interested to see a picture for color comparison.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #28
opus345
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 155

I did a full volume boil with a late addition in the last 15 mins three weeks ago. I will be racking to the secondary today after I bottle the Honey Kolsch and free up a carboy and will update on the color.

Mead: Capsicumel, Strawberry, Jalapeno, Triple Berry, Blueberry, JOAM (2g), Apfelwein (20g),
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Old 10-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #29
TBrady26
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus345 View Post
This Hefe is in the fermentation chamber at 64/65°. Making it was pretty easy. I did do the late addition, more because I have conditioned myself to do it now. We will see if it makes a difference.

Not too happy with the Wyeast Wheat yeasts. Was going to brew last weekend and smacked the pack on Thursday. Nothing was happening 24 hours later. OK, no problem, I was going to make a starter anyway and I could brew on Sunday. And, again no activity 24 hours after making the starter. This happened about 6 weeks ago when I was using the Wyeast Wheat 1010 for a Honey Klosch. Nothing with the smack and no activity in the starter. Northern Brewer did replace both at no charge and indicated that they have been having a number of problems and replacements with that spring batch from Wyeast.

Will update this thread when I have significant news with this batch.
I will, likely NEVER use WYEAST again. I was making a Spotted Cow clone and it never did it's thing. Lesson learned!

Old 10-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #30
Wort_Cleaver
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Hmmm, I pitched one pack of Wyeast 3068. Was a little worried about it stalling, especially since it was shipped from MN to FL in the middle of summer and got here warm. But it fermented fully. Last week I brewed a saison and pitched 2 packs of Wyeast 3711 and it was chugging away in about 12 hours. Maybe just lucky, but so far I haven't had a problem.

Quick Reply