Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Hefeweizen Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2008, 11:48 PM   #1
hughes_brews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Hefeweizen Advice

I will be brewing my 6th batch in a week or so and want to do another hefe. I brewed a VERY simple one a month ago and it is good, but am looking to tweak the recipe to make it better.

For the previous attempt, I used 6 lb. wheat DME, 1oz. Mt. Hood for 60 minutes (Hallerauer not available), and Wyeast 3068 (Weihenstephan Weizen). Full volume boil. Primary for 2 weeks (in the basement - about 68-70F), then kegged.

It was a very aggresive fermentation and I had to make a quick blowoff after the airlock was filled and overflowing. Nice banana bubbles for well over a week. After kegging, the fermenter smelled great, with a strong clove aroma. However, the clove taste seems to be too light in the beer itself.

Any recommendations on what I can do to improve the recipe, specialty grains, etc.?

Thanks,
Jeff

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2008, 11:57 PM   #2
Iordz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Try a dunkel weizen for a twist! Dunkel weizen is like a regular hefe with more maltiness because they are brewed with Munich malt. Use wheat DME as the base and add about 30% Munich extract. You can add some dark crystal (8oz) for a hint of sweetness and some Carafa Special (2oz) for a darker color. These speciality grains will give the beer some complexity without overpowering theyeast profile. Ferment at 70F and you will have a great dunkel weizen! If you want more "cloviness" ferment a little cooler, at around 64F.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:03 AM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts

Cooler ferment more cloves
Warmer ferment more banana flavor...

Old 03-04-2008, 01:50 AM   #4
count barleywine
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did one recently very similar to yours, 6lb wheat, 0.5oz fuggles 5% 60 min, and 4oz caramunich I mashed in smaller pot 152deg for 50 min. I think the grains added a nice mouthfeel, like a good commercial example. The yeasts were whitelabs, 1 german hef IV and 1 belgian wit. The beer is really on point and we followed Jamil's instructions from Brewing Classic Styles and fermented it at around 64 deg. Good luck hefs rule
PS- I also did a late malt addition, only starting w half the extract and adding the rest at flame out.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:57 AM   #5
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 14

i did my first hefe recently. added some flaked wheat for a slightly fuller palate. turned out nicely. i also added the zest of two lemons, but not much of it came through. think i'd increase that to 4 next time to give it a nice tang.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:07 AM   #6
Limited Visibility
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
Cooler ferment more cloves
Warmer ferment more banana flavor...
yep....

Old 03-04-2008, 09:01 PM   #7
AndrwHock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My friend just made a nice hefe. He had trouble keeping the temperature down below 70. My guess is the average would be about 71 degrees for the fermentation, and it turned out tasting pretty bananariffic. I guess the warmer ferment for more banana flavor makes sense.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:21 PM   #8
hughes_brews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by count barleywine
PS- I also did a late malt addition, only starting w half the extract and adding the rest at flame out.
I saw late malt addition mentioned in another thread, also. What effect does this have on the beer?

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 03-04-2008, 11:14 PM   #9
Moonshae
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesj
I saw late malt addition mentioned in another thread, also. What effect does this have on the beer?

Thanks,
Jeff
It keeps the final product lighter in color. You should add about 25% at the beginning to allow the hops to be fully utilized, though. They could come out somewhat stronger, due to the lower gravity of the wort, though.

"You never can tell with bees." --Winnie the Pooh

Old 03-05-2008, 12:15 AM   #10
Reno Homebrewer

Recipes 

I used the "Blood Orange Hefe" recipe from Extreme Brewing by Sam Calagione as an idea, and changed it up some by steeping some honey specialty grains for 30 minutes, adding about 1/2 lb. of honey, and using sweet orange peel instead of Blood Oranges. My OG was 1.068, and my reading on Sunday was 1.012. The sample tasted very good, with a crisp but not overpowering taste of honey and orange/banana. I'm going to bottle it on Wednesday, and let it set for 10 days per the book before trying one out.

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Belgian Dubbel, American Pale Ale, Irish Red Ale (Yeast Fuel experiment), Doppel Bock
Up Next: Brown Ale

Quick Reply