Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Hefe extract...when to add to boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2007, 03:37 PM   #1
Home Brewski
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hefe extract...when to add to boil

I've read that some people add their extract later in the boil so the wort has a lighter color. Any suggestions on when to add the extract to my Hefe?

The AHS kit has the extract added then boiled for 60 min.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2007, 04:44 PM   #2
Willy Boner
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Put in a pound or so at first of boil to help the hops and the rest with 15 mins. left in boil.

Old 11-23-2007, 04:49 PM   #3
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

You also have to change your hop additions unless you want it to come out twice as bitter as the recipe calls for, which I really doubt you'd be happy with in a hefe.

There is plenty of information on this technique which is referred to as "late extract addition", try searching.

It is easy to do and can have a positive effect on your beer, but you do need to pay attention to the changes in hop utilization if you're working from a recipe that doesn't call for late extract addition. If you're using brewing software and making your own recipes, it's no trouble at all.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:27 PM   #4
Home Brewski
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkenjaeger
You also have to change your hop additions unless you want it to come out twice as bitter as the recipe calls for, which I really doubt you'd be happy with in a hefe.

There is plenty of information on this technique which is referred to as "late extract addition", try searching.

It is easy to do and can have a positive effect on your beer, but you do need to pay attention to the changes in hop utilization if you're working from a recipe that doesn't call for late extract addition. If you're using brewing software and making your own recipes, it's no trouble at all.
I did some research.

The recipe calls for 7lb wheat extract and then boiling for 60 min while adding 3/4 oz hallertau at the start of the 60 min and 1/4 oz in the last 5 min for aroma.

I plan on adding around 3 lb LME at start and adding only about 1/2 oz. of the hallertau at start and using the same 1/4 oz for aroma in the last 5 min.

Does this sound like im moving in the right direction?

Old 11-23-2007, 06:33 PM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Important question: How much water are you boiling?

Old 11-23-2007, 06:37 PM   #6
Home Brewski
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
Important question: How much water are you boiling?
it calls for 2.5 gal

As I was reading most threads on this topic you were the person I wanted to contact.

I saw your recipe posted in a thread but it just said to add the hops and not how much...any suggestions?

Old 11-23-2007, 06:50 PM   #7
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 603 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 54

How much water can you boil at a time? The bigger the boil, the lighter the color.

Of course, if you're boiling more water, you'll need to cool more wort...do you have a chiller?

Old 11-23-2007, 06:53 PM   #8
Home Brewski
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
How much water can you boil at a time? The bigger the boil, the lighter the color.

Of course, if you're boiling more water, you'll need to cool more wort...do you have a chiller?
no chiller at the moment, 2.5 gal is prob the most i can boil right now with the pot to leave enough room to protect against boil over easily.

edit: I do chill, just with a sink full of ice water

Last edited by Home Brewski; 11-23-2007 at 06:59 PM.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:07 PM   #9
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you read Papazian's TCJOHB book there's a chart on Hop Utilization.

Try to maintain a 1:1 ratio of water to lbs of malt in the boil. In your case 2.5 gals:2.5 lbs of malt, then all your hops. HWs usually only use bottering hops.

After 45 mins you can remove the pot from the heat and stir in the rest of the malt. Boil another 15 mins or just let it sit (steep) and pasteurize.

If you are using LME there's not much you can do to control the overall color. I'd recommend switching to DME for that.

I'll have to check the recipe for the hops, but I usually only use 3%AA, but I also don't use 7 lbs of malt (5-6 lbs) so your beer will be stronger and should have more body than mine.

What's the AA% of your hops? If it's higher than 3% then divide the larger number into the smaller to get a weight to use. Example: a recipe calls for 3% and you have 4.5%. Divide 4.5 into 3 for .66 oz. Conversely, if a recipe asks for 4.8% and all you have are 3.4 divide the smaller into the larger...1.41 oz of the 3.4% hops to equal the 4.8%.

Good luck.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:08 PM   #10
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 603 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I just ran the numbers. .75 oz of Hallertau (4.0% AA) in a 2.5 gallon boil topped up to 5 gallons nets you 6.6 IBUs if you add the extract at the beginning of the boil.

Adding 3 lbs of extract at the beginning with the remainder at the end results in 11.0 IBUs.

6.6 IBUs is barely enough in any beer (and doesn't meet the style guidelines of 8.0-15.0 in a German Weisen). I'd recommend doing a late extract addition and using the entire .75 oz of hops.

Also, you might consider skipping the flavor addition. Flavor hops aren't generally used in Weiss beers. However, if you want to keep the flavor hops, don't correct them for a late extract beer - the change in utilization will be negligible when adding them with less than 10 minutes to go in the boil.

Quick Reply