Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Headless brew.....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2008, 02:00 AM   #1
The Mad Hatter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Headless brew.....

This is my first batch that I brewed six weeks ago. The taste is OK, it has a bit of bitterness to it. The beer is sort of carbed. I used two cups of water in 3/4 cups of corn sugar to prime the bottles. I heated the water to disolve the sugar but did not boil it. I then cooled it off and put it into the botteling bucket and racked on top of the beer, then bottled. I do not think I stirred during the botteling, dont excatly remember. It has been in the basement for three weeks now in the bottles. My basement is about 65*. I am thinking that it may take up to two more weeks at that temp. What do you guys think? This was a very basic bottom of the line coopers pre hopped extrect in the can. I would appreciate any advice, but I think my basement may be to cold for three week conditioning, maybe closer to five?

T.M.H.

My slow single tier build

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2008, 02:27 AM   #2
Hoosierbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have that problem if I open a bottle too quickly. Let it carb up for a couple of more weeks. If that does not fix it, then you may have other problems that someone may be able to help.

Primary 1: Oatmeal Coffee Stout
Secondary: American Mild IPA
Keg 1: English Bitter

Next up: Double IPA for friend, Kolsch, Graff, American Wheat, Dunkleweizen.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:32 AM   #3
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 15

give it a few more weeks - the bitterness will settle in and the head will improve. they say to carb at 70 for three weeks. the beers i have made always taste better after a month or so in bottles.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:03 AM   #4
BrianP

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Stirring is important for making sure the sugar gets mixed in uniformly. If you fail to mix, you're likely to have some poorly carb-ed bottles, and worse yet, some bottle bombs.

A good procedure is to add the boiled and cooled sugar solution to your bottling bucket, then rack beer onto it. I also use a sanitized spoon to stir it gently when it's all in the bucket (preventing sloshing and risk of oxidation). You may want to mix it a little every 12 or so beers you bottle.

Cheers,

BP

-------------------------------
Fermenter 1: Best bitter (1)
Fermenter 2: Best bitter (2)
Fermenter 3: APA
Fermenter 4: APA

Old 05-31-2008, 03:10 AM   #5
HOOTER
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

65 is a bit on the cool side, and the lack of stirring will cause inconsistent carbing. Also, an unclean glass (soap residue, for instance) will prevent head formation and retention.

On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

Old 05-31-2008, 03:22 AM   #6
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 119 Posts

all comments above are good advice, but most importantly...let it sit a few more weeks

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 05-31-2008, 05:17 AM   #7
The Mad Hatter
Recipes 

I thought I was kind of on the right track thinking that the basement is a bit cool. I hung a thermometer down there before going to Old Chicago for more beer tour sampling. I came back after closing up the vent and is was a crisp 60*. I would like to keep everything down there all in one room, and I am OK with haveing to wait five weeks or longer if need be to let the carbination take place. Is 60* to cold, and will it stop the carbination totally, or will it just take longer? Thanks in advance.

T.M.H.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:58 AM   #8
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

60º is usually too cool for most ale yeast to function, and they'll go to sleep. I would take the bottles and bring em upstairs for two weeks in warmer temps. After two weeks try one, I'll bet you'll get better head. On the beer! Geez you pervs!

Also, wash your beer glass out in warm water before serving, and see if that improves the head. Does it taste flat too, or just no head to it?

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 05-31-2008, 12:42 PM   #9
The Mad Hatter
Recipes 

It is mostly just lack of head. I did see a few bubbles after the pour and it looked liked it was going to try to foam up but never did. I will bring them upstairs for two weeks and see how they turn out. The bonus thing is though that my wife likes them now. We shared the pint after mowing last night and she thought it was good. So, if all else fails I will feed em to mama.

T.M.H.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:00 PM   #10
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Prediction: A week upstairs will work wonders. Sounds like you did everything right. Think about next time going with a kit that has steeping grains - these will enhance head retention. It sounds (and looks) like the carbonation is OK, you just don't want the bubbles to pop when they get to the top. But even without the steeping grains, this will improve over time.

Quick Reply