New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > HBC 342 hops




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #41
Jazong
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 47
Default

Mosaic is a good name for that hop. I had Schlafly's all HBC 369 beer last week and it was like Citra, Columbus, and Sorachi Ace in that order. Tropical with a little bit of stank and lemongrass. I have 6 ounces o HBC 342 at home but no opportunity to use it yet.



__________________
Jazong is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 02:19 AM   #42
divrguy
Senior Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
divrguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Northern CA, California
Posts: 843
Liked 42 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Ok,time to bring this thread back to life again. I just tasted the first taste of my SMASH with this hop. This is JUST a really early taste and it is still a little green! Been in the bottle conditioning for only one week. I can't taste any watermelon yet I also can't pin down what I CAN taste yet. It is definitely a clean taste and right now, I would say it is similar to a cleaner version of cascade with something dank in there. It's not real citrusy, not real fruity or not quite anything enough yet but it's surprisingly a refreshing hop but kind of all over the place right now. hard to describe. I can't wait to post it in another week or two and see how it matures. Stay tuned!



__________________

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

divrguy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 06:05 AM   #43
domdom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Columbia, MO
Posts: 65
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

i just tried my single hop IPA of this after a week of bottling and it was pretty interesting. very melon-y, sort of like cantaloupe, not very citric at all. really reminds me a lot of green melon (musk melon?) candy/ice cream you can find at asian markets. clean and light tasting. not sure if it's a good single hop candidate overall, but does show a lot of promise in terms of what new experimental hops do with unique flavors. i can see it being really good in wheat beer with a little standard bittering hop at the beginning of the boil.

__________________
domdom is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #44
divrguy
Senior Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
divrguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Northern CA, California
Posts: 843
Liked 42 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by divrguy
Ok,time to bring this thread back to life again. I just tasted the first taste of my SMASH with this hop. This is JUST a really early taste and it is still a little green! Been in the bottle conditioning for only one week. I can't taste any watermelon yet I also can't pin down what I CAN taste yet. It is definitely a clean taste and right now, I would say it is similar to a cleaner version of cascade with something dank in there. It's not real citrusy, not real fruity or not quite anything enough yet but it's surprisingly a refreshing hop but kind of all over the place right now. hard to describe. I can't wait to post it in another week or two and see how it matures. Stay tuned!
Quote:
Originally Posted by domdom
i just tried my single hop IPA of this after a week of bottling and it was pretty interesting. very melon-y, sort of like cantaloupe, not very citric at all. really reminds me a lot of green melon (musk melon?) candy/ice cream you can find at asian markets. clean and light tasting. not sure if it's a good single hop candidate overall, but does show a lot of promise in terms of what new experimental hops do with unique flavors. i can see it being really good in wheat beer with a little standard bittering hop at the beginning of the boil.
Tasted it again this weekend. It is definitely changing but still a little tough to figure out. I get some sort of slightly sweet candy flavor. Very slight citrusy and a melon that's not easy to figure out.

I am not sure i would use this again unless I find a good combo hop to help bring out its strong points if they settle in..
__________________

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

divrguy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 04:06 AM   #45
domdom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Columbia, MO
Posts: 65
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

tasted like one of these. if you have an asian market nearby, here's what to look for. going to let it condition another week to see if it develops a different taste, but from what i had, this is pretty spot on.

__________________
domdom is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #46
divrguy
Senior Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
divrguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Northern CA, California
Posts: 843
Liked 42 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdom
tasted like one of these. if you have an asian market nearby, here's what to look for. going to let it condition another week to see if it develops a different taste, but from what i had, this is pretty spot on.
That's probably right where that melon taste is. The sweet candy part is there too and I'm noticing that's its a little more drinkable. I only have a few left since I did a small test batch so I may let its sit for a month to see what happens. Very odd hop to say the least
__________________

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

divrguy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #47
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,387
Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by divrguy View Post
Tasted it again this weekend. It is definitely changing but still a little tough to figure out. I get some sort of slightly sweet candy flavor. Very slight citrusy and a melon that's not easy to figure out.
I brewed up a single hop pale ale with HBC342 and it seems to change every time I pull a pint from my keg. I get melon in the aroma, but don't pick any up in the flavor. I might try and track down some of those melona thing and see if that helps me pick up the flavors.
__________________
IffyG is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #48
divrguy
Senior Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
divrguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Northern CA, California
Posts: 843
Liked 42 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IffyG

I brewed up a single hop pale ale with HBC342 and it seems to change every time I pull a pint from my keg. I get melon in the aroma, but don't pick any up in the flavor. I might try and track down some of those melona thing and see if that helps me pick up the flavors.
I agree... It's the oddest hop ever. It's like a new brew each time.
__________________

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

divrguy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #49
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,387
Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

Well my all HBC342 beer has finally stopped its metamorphosis and has settled into something decidedly bland. The dry hopping aroma dropped off much faster with this hop than it does with Simcoe or Cascade. Aroma is otherwise non descript. I don't pick up any more melon or citrus flavor/aroma at this point.

As a big fan of fruity hop notes, I don't think I'll be rushing back to use this one. I was really hoping for the watermelon notes to come through and this hop has let me down.

__________________
IffyG is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #50
divrguy
Senior Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
divrguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Northern CA, California
Posts: 843
Liked 42 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IffyG
Well my all HBC342 beer has finally stopped its metamorphosis and has settled into something decidedly bland. The dry hopping aroma dropped off much faster with this hop than it does with Simcoe or Cascade. Aroma is otherwise non descript. I don't pick up any more melon or citrus flavor/aroma at this point.

As a big fan of fruity hop notes, I don't think I'll be rushing back to use this one. I was really hoping for the watermelon notes to come through and this hop has let me down.
I have to agree. I have I think 2 more left and I'm not rushing to even drink them. This hop is just boring. Nothing I can see it will add to anything


__________________

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

divrguy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can "Mash Hops" hops addition go in at extract? JoeBronco Extract Brewing 5 01-19-2011 05:24 PM
Bittering hops - finishing hops mix-up Bills Brew Extract Brewing 4 07-30-2007 05:06 PM