The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > HBC 342 hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #31
RRR_BrewCo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Have to revitalize this thread. I just had an ipa brewed at Mad Fox Brewery in Falls Church, Va. They used this hop exclusively and it was delicious. Grapefruit flavors but not too hash and not too much bite, quite smooth. And I'll be damned if there's not a watermelon smell to this beer! I was skeptical by the reports of watermelon, but it sure as hell was there! I'm looking forward to getting my hands on some to make up my own ipa

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #32
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewski09 View Post
i think its pretty much sold out everywhere. there is a place in Australia that will ship, but it is really expensive. there is a vendor site listed above that had it earlier in the season. i would look for it in the 2012 season though.
I just snagged some at Farmhouse Brewing. Ended up being 8 bucks for 4 ounces shipped to my door.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #33
RRR_BrewCo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IffyG

I just snagged some at Farmhouse Brewing. Ended up being 8 bucks for 4 ounces shipped to my door.
Very nice. Looks like I will be placing an order soon! The ipa I had was super light. On appearances it looked more like a kolsch. Not sure if I want to go that route or darken it up a bit

Old 03-28-2012, 11:46 PM   #34
DaDzBrewery
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Rebel Brewer has em on hand.. Just did an IPA with them yesterday. great aroma to them.. Can't wait to try it.. http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shoppingc...lets-Hops.html

Give a man a brew, he'll waste a day, Teach a man to brew, he'll waste a lifetime.....

About to : Falconer's Flight IPA
Primary : APA(Cascade), HBC342 hops IPA
Secondary:
Secondary:
Bottled : Hefeweizen, APA, Imperial Oatmeal Stout,
Kegged : APA(cascade+amarillo) , Smoked Robust Porter , Scottish Ale Export 80 Shilling

Old 03-30-2012, 11:16 PM   #35
HopnessMontster
Recipes 

Just got mines from Hop City in Atlanta. The description the beer gods there gave me was watermelon although that essence is hard to detect in the aroma. I'm going to use a 60 min half ounce and a 5 min half ounce in my upcoming, and most certainly epic, wheat beer. The additional ingredients are: 4 Lbs Bavarian Wheat DME, 2 Lbs Pilsen DME with steeping grains of 8 oz Soft Red Wheat/White Wheat malt, 4 oz honey malt, 8 oz carafoam, 4 oz victory and a Wyeast 1010 Amercian Wheat Ale. This will be my third brew.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:09 AM   #36
joeboy23
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR_BrewCo View Post
Have to revitalize this thread. I just had an ipa brewed at Mad Fox Brewery in Falls Church, Va. They used this hop exclusively and it was delicious. Grapefruit flavors but not too hash and not too much bite, quite smooth. And I'll be damned if there's not a watermelon smell to this beer! I was skeptical by the reports of watermelon, but it sure as hell was there! I'm looking forward to getting my hands on some to make up my own ipa
ain't that some crap. they open a brewery after i move away. i grew up a few blocks from that place. how is it?

Old 04-09-2012, 01:03 AM   #37
Rocky71
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm finally brewing my HopNog kit with these hops. I'm going to add an ounce at 10 minutes before flame out and then dry hop the rest for two weeks and then age it in a 5 gallon whiskey barrel for a month or so. I'm keeping the whiskey barrel wet with some gin as the whiskey gin combo is a flavor I'm aiming for. I won't know for a long time how good it is.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:44 AM   #38
brewski09
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Maybe some extra juniper berries in the barrel with the gin? Sounds interesting. I would try it if I had some good gin.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:34 PM   #39
jebsterr
Recipes 

Next year, look for a hop called MOSAIC. This is the commercial version of it, and it is being harvested now for next year production.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:56 PM   #40
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Mosaic is HBC 369. Completely different hop. HBC 342 doesn't have a name yet.

Quick Reply