Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Has anyone bottled with soda bottles with success?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2007, 11:56 PM   #1
postman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Has anyone bottled with soda bottles with success?

Just was wondering if any brewer has had success or failure bottling with soda bottles? I understand plastic bottles have light sensitivity issues and oxygen permeability issues as well. Some have commented this on another post and I've learned a lot about the bottles thanks to responses on this site. But still, with all the issues plastic raises, I was just wondering if you made a good or a bad brew?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2007, 12:03 AM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I've never personally done it unless you count Mr. Beer. But I know for a fact it's been done and it's being done by people here (couldn't find any links though.)

It's also referenced in a couple of homebrewing books.

Cap it well, keep it out of the light and it will work.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:09 AM   #3
Kayos
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I use the carbinator cap so I can try my brews the night after I bottle just to see what they will taste like. Pretty cool and fits on any soda bottle.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:51 AM   #4
IBENAK
Recipes 

I often put some brew in them to give away. This has never presented a problem, and most of the time the carbonation is great. I found that if you overtighten the caps you will have a leak. I hope this helps. Oh btw some of my samples have been in there for more than a week with no problems.

Nick

On Tap: Ed's Apflewein, Root Beer, Cream Soda, Double chocolate stout, Barley Wine, Vanilla Cream Ale, Pale Ale, Lemon Wheat, Golden Ale
Primary: W' 07 clone x2, Raspberry wheat
Secondary: Pale Ale, Golden Ale x2, IIPA
Keg Conditioning:
On Deck: Kolsch, Vanilla Cream,

Old 08-17-2007, 02:01 AM   #5
cj8scrambler

Recipes 

I'm not sure that this is what you are referring to, but I have tried bottling force carbed soda into glass bottles. It did not work well.

I made a rootbeer with sugar, water and a flavor kit, then force carbed it in a keg to about 50 psi. To serve it, I had to take the pressure down to about 8 PSI and I used about 10' of 3/16" beverage tubing. The rootbeer tasted fine, but always seemed to foam too much when serving and came out flat.

I tried bottling it in glass beer bottles using a Mr. Beer gun. I had to take the pressure down to about 2 PSI or else I got all foam. Even with 2 PSI, I got a lot of foam and the bottles only ended up about 3/4 full when the foam settled. After capping and waiting a week I had rootbeer syrup in a bottle with not much carbonation at all. A true counter-pressure filler might work better for soda than a Mr. Beer gun, but I haven't tried.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:07 AM   #6
Axegod
Recipes 

If you are talking about priming and adding to plastic bottles - yes, I do it all the time. I really never had a beer last more than 8 months....I did detect a slight loss
of pressure after about 7-8 months, but no big deal.

Cheers.

On Order: nothing at all..for a few months
Thinking about: Plisner malt and saaz hops
Drinking:

Old 08-17-2007, 02:25 AM   #7
postman
Recipes 

Default Thanks so far.

Thanks for the post so far. Just for clarification, I am referring to conditioning my beer in soda bottles. I ran out of bottles recently and grabbed some canada dry bottles to finish it off. When I started to consider it, it could save me some time. I don't plan on many bottles of it, but it perked my curiosity.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:27 AM   #8
Axegod
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by postman
Thanks for the post so far. Just for clarification, I am referring to conditioning my beer in soda bottles. I ran out of bottles recently and grabbed some canada dry bottles to finish it off. When I started to consider it, it could save me some time. I don't plan on many bottles of it, but it perked my curiosity.
Go for it - no problem at all using these. I even reuse the caps.
I have been doing this off and on for over 15 yrs. without a problem.

Cheers.
On Order: nothing at all..for a few months
Thinking about: Plisner malt and saaz hops
Drinking:

Old 08-17-2007, 02:31 AM   #9
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Been using 2 liter soft drink bottles for over a year and a half now, no problems. I have some pumpkin beer from last year sitting in some 2 liter bottles, plan on cracking them in October. I'll add that they are kept in a controlled enviroment from conditioning to storage.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:46 AM   #10
javedian
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Works good. I bottle about 1/3 in 20 oz. soda bottles, and the rest in 12oz. If you stagger the plastic bottles, you can get 6-8 in most case boxes without crowding the rest of the bottles. Fewer bottles to fill, less space. I start seeing slight pressure loss after about 3-4 months, but no significant problems for 6-9 months, depending on style. Just make sure you keep them in a closed box so you don't skunk.

Quick Reply