Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > had a great bottling/brew day

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2006, 10:11 PM   #1
BrewProject
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default had a great bottling/brew day

well yesterday was very successful if i do say so myself.

had a couple of friends come over to help me bottle up my cherry wheat and pumpkin ale. after the bottling we brewed a Double Chocolate Stout. All of this time we were drinking my first home brew, a John Bull American Beer...

so here's a couple of pictures...

Cherry Wheat, 4.0% ABV and 67.9% Attenuation. a little low, but it has the nicest cherry flavor and a slight red tint... This one is gonna be real popular.

next up was my pumpkin ale, 4.7% ABV and 74.1% Attenuation. Very nice subtle pumpkin flavoring with a nice amber/orange tint. One of my friends said this one was gonna be his favorite...

and finally and this one is gonna be popular too. a double chocolate stout. and i was totally blown away when taking my OG on this one. The kit instructions said OG would be about 1.056. well i ordered the extra 1% ABV boost from AHBS and my OG was a huge 1.070. If the FG ends up at 1.013 like the kit says it should, this baby is gonna end up @ 7.4% ABV with 80.4 Attenuation !!! The taste on this was a nice roasted barley flavor. The chocolate on this kit does not go into the primary or secondary, but is added at bottling time. YUM YUM, can't wait...

Fermentation had begun when i checked on the airlock @ 2:00 PM today. 3 bubbles per second.

the kit ingredients:

and the beer:

Primary 2:
Nut Brown Ale

Secondary 1:
Available

Secondary 2:
Available

Kegged and Drinking:
American IPA, Special Holiday Ale

Bottled and Drinking:
Irish Red Ale, Summer Saison Belgian Ale, Pumpkin Ale, Fat Tire Clone

Planning: Chiplote Ale, Blueberry Wheat, Cherry Stout, Chocolate Cherry Stout and been thinking about something crazy like a Wintergreen Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2006, 10:14 PM   #2
Cregar

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

They look great... the cherry wheat looks delicious

(Whoops... misspelling)

Last edited by Cregar; 08-27-2006 at 11:36 PM.

Old 08-27-2006, 10:37 PM   #3
BrewProject
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cregar
They look great... the cherry white looks delicious

thanks, and the cherry wheat is gonna be killer

i suspect it won't last long with my friends around helping me bottle/brew

Primary 2:
Nut Brown Ale

Secondary 1:
Available

Secondary 2:
Available

Kegged and Drinking:

Bottled and Drinking:

Planning: Chiplote Ale, Blueberry Wheat, Cherry Stout, Chocolate Cherry Stout and been thinking about something crazy like a Wintergreen Stout

Old 08-27-2006, 11:37 PM   #4
Cregar

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yea... It will go quickly. can't wait to do my first batch.

Old 08-28-2006, 07:36 AM   #5
Exo

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Wonderful! How the Cherry Wheat taste out of the bucket?

I wonder about attenuation when you add sugars such as that from puree. I wonder if some residual sugars are around and give you a false attenuation. I'd guess your attenuation was actually higher than that...

Wasp Bitten IPA (a Walker-San clone);Cheesefood's Caramel Creme; Wee Heavy Scottish Ale;
Bottled/Conditioning:
Flyin' Hornet Pale Ale(Mirror Pond clone);Oktoberfest Ale
Drinking:
Boom-Boom Apricot Hefeweisen; Forbidden Ale;Pale-Ass Ale (SNPA Clone); Ol' Man Winter Ale
On-deck:
Dead Guy clone
Planning:
Walker's Espresso Stout; BrewPastor's Bastard Lager
Quote:
But honey, how else am I going to get enough bottles for my next batch? *burp*...*fart*

Old 08-28-2006, 02:18 PM   #6
BrewProject
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo
Wonderful! How the Cherry Wheat taste out of the bucket?

I wonder about attenuation when you add sugars such as that from puree. I wonder if some residual sugars are around and give you a false attenuation. I'd guess your attenuation was actually higher than that...
it was really nice, a very natural cherry flavor. not to overpowering or weak, just about perfect i would say...

i think your apricot hefe will come out wonderful too...

3 lbs of puree in the secondary seemed to be the right amount.

i used BeerSmith to determine the attenuation, so i really don't know. but i do know that after racking to the secondary my SG did drop from 1.018 to 1.014...

i really think anyone of my friends who tries the cherry wheat after it's carbonated is gonna request that one again...

Primary 2:
Nut Brown Ale

Secondary 1:
Available

Secondary 2:
Available

Kegged and Drinking:

Bottled and Drinking:

Old 08-28-2006, 03:40 PM   #7
BrewProject
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The only that has me concerned is how rapidly my bubbling seems to stop.

My first brew was still bubbling after 1 week in the primary, however, brews 2, 3 and now 4 stopped bubbling the airlock after roughly 36-48 hours. With a huge OG of 1.070 I was kinda expecting a long period of fermentation.

I am more than certain fermentation is continuing as the SG continued to drop on batches 2 and 3, even after racking to the secondary, but it just kinda freaks me out a bit.

I read on here that some people actually open up thier primaries and used a santiized spoon to stir their beer... Either that or pick up their primary buckets and give them a little twist back and forth. Purpose being to get the yeast up and more active again.

Bubbling on my Double Chocolate Stout has apparently stopped after only 36 hours. Do you guys recommend me doing the swirl or twist technique?

Primary 2:
Nut Brown Ale

Secondary 1:
Available

Secondary 2:
Available

Kegged and Drinking:

Bottled and Drinking:

Old 08-28-2006, 06:42 PM   #8
Vagrant
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What temperature is your primary at? My first few batches burned through and finished as quick as yours did. It came out great, so I'm not too worried too much about fermentation time.. I built myself a fermenter chiller
http://home.elp.rr.com/brewbeer/chiller/chiller.PDF#search=%22fermenter%20chiller%22

and have a belgian abbey brewing that has been fermenting for over 2 weeks and it's still bubbling once every 6 - 12 seconds! (it fluxuates...) It still smells great though, but that one I'm keeping at 65 degrees, whereas my others I had at room temp (no ac, temp varied between 65 - 80). So I can definitely see first hand that temp is a factor. I think the yeast makes a difference too. My OG was pretty high as well..

Just some thoughts.

Old 08-28-2006, 07:42 PM   #9
BrewProject
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobes341
What temperature is your primary at? My first few batches burned through and finished as quick as yours did. It came out great, so I'm not too worried too much about fermentation time.. I built myself a fermenter chiller
http://home.elp.rr.com/brewbeer/chiller/chiller.PDF#search=%22fermenter%20chiller%22

and have a belgian abbey brewing that has been fermenting for over 2 weeks and it's still bubbling once every 6 - 12 seconds! (it fluxuates...) It still smells great though, but that one I'm keeping at 65 degrees, whereas my others I had at room temp (no ac, temp varied between 65 - 80). So I can definitely see first hand that temp is a factor. I think the yeast makes a difference too. My OG was pretty high as well..

Just some thoughts.
well my fermentation chamber is the floor in a closet. temps right around 75. it might help me to get it lower, but without a chiller like you show, it's not gonna happen during the summer...

plus in my apartment i don't have room for the chiller. the SWMBO and I should be ready to purchase a home during the first half of next year, then i can have more home brewing room...

as far as yeast, all i have used thus far is dry yeast... may have to step up my quality of yeast in the future also...

thanks

Primary 2:
Nut Brown Ale

Secondary 1:
Available

Secondary 2:
Available

Kegged and Drinking:

Bottled and Drinking:

Old 08-28-2006, 07:49 PM   #10
Exo

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

nothing wrong with dry yeast.

A basement is a boon to the homebrewer. Perfect temps and lots of space. And you stay out of SWMBO way.

Wasp Bitten IPA (a Walker-San clone);Cheesefood's Caramel Creme; Wee Heavy Scottish Ale;
Bottled/Conditioning:
Flyin' Hornet Pale Ale(Mirror Pond clone);Oktoberfest Ale
Drinking:
Boom-Boom Apricot Hefeweisen; Forbidden Ale;Pale-Ass Ale (SNPA Clone); Ol' Man Winter Ale
On-deck:
Dead Guy clone
Planning:
Walker's Espresso Stout; BrewPastor's Bastard Lager
Quote:
But honey, how else am I going to get enough bottles for my next batch? *burp*...*fart*

Quick Reply