LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2009, 04:06 AM   #1
rexbanner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Default green tea wheat beer

Hey yall, think it would taste good? I was drinking tazo zen (which has lemongrass and mint as well I think) and realized the taste would prob go great with a wheat beer.

I'm gonna test it out first and then the plan is to do a partial boil using very concentrated tazo zen instead of water. otherwise gonna use the basic wheatbeer recipe from homebrewing for dummies (i'd post it now but I need to get it from the library).

Any advice or suggestions? like if you have a better recipe to follow (that would work with green tea) or a spice you think would compliment it, or really anything, post it here.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2009, 04:16 AM   #2
BillyMack
Recipes 

No specific recipes but I think it sounds great! Green tea gets especially bitter if it steeps too long so boiling it might be excessively bitter. You could try dry-hopping with some green tea leaves or maybe add some concentrate after the boil. Not sure if the concentrate would have any unwanted chemicals that could further alter the flavor.

Good Luck!

Will be looking forward to seeing the results...

Old 06-05-2009, 04:26 AM   #3
blue_bmw2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i wash thinking about doing something with green tea also. let me know what recipe you are using, i would love to try this on my own as well!

Bottles: Hop Head Double IPA, Cran-Apple Cider, English Pale Ale, Graham's English Cider, Wet Hoppy Dog

Old 06-05-2009, 04:30 AM   #4
philrose
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

try it out! add a little of that tea to your morning hef!

what? you guys dont drink your wheat beer in the morning?

Unhealthy? its got a lemon in it sheesh!

Planning- Witbier

@philthebrewer

Old 06-05-2009, 02:56 PM   #5
Brew_Weasel
Recipes 

If the tea leaves add bitterness, maybe you don't even want to add hops. I know, I know... sacreligious....

Old 06-05-2009, 05:11 PM   #6
Battery_BreweryNJ

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I've done a green tea beer before and the tea flavor only lasts about 2 weeks if you bottle. It goes away with age and your are left with a bland tasting beer. I made the tea 1st(steeping the tea bags) then made the wort. I chilled both then combined in the carboy. I guess it all depends on how you make it. Good luck tho!

Fermenting: ESB

Drinking: Feelin' Witty(DH w/ Citra)

Watts Brewing Blog

Old 06-08-2009, 02:04 AM   #7
JunkMunky
Recipes 

I just made a rooibos kolsch. Steeped about 2 oz in the last of the boil, and im going to steep more before i bottle to have it pack a bigger punch, i'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:44 AM   #8
rexbanner
Recipes 

well as of 2 hours ago, its all in the bucket. I'll let you guys know how it goes, and hopefully the flavor will last more than 2 weeks. I wouldn't think I'd necessarily be left with a bland beer, since even without the tea flavor it would still be a decent wheat.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:48 AM   #9
patrad
Recipes 

you may (or someone) want to try using matcha instead of actual green tea leaves. its green tea powder and used for making other green tea flavored items.

i looked for quite a while for some to make green tea ice cream. it was hard to find at local chicago asian grocery stores. i finally found some in the grocery store in the chinese cultural center in phoenix.

ordering some off the internet would prob be best

Old 07-03-2009, 04:52 AM   #10
rexbanner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery_BreweryNJ View Post
I've done a green tea beer before and the tea flavor only lasts about 2 weeks if you bottle. It goes away with age and your are left with a bland tasting beer. I made the tea 1st(steeping the tea bags) then made the wort. I chilled both then combined in the carboy. I guess it all depends on how you make it. Good luck tho!
Ok everyone, it's done now. Here's the scoop.

Used 3.5 gallons of water for the wort, and 2 for the tea. I used tazo zen, which also has mint and lemongrass in addition I believe. I did not make an especially strong tea, bringing the water to a boil and then turning off the heat and putting in one box's worth of teabags immediately after the boil died.

The result is extremely pleasing, with a very subtle taste of green tea. It is also especially alcoholic, although that may be due to me using less water. The tea makes all gravity readings go way up, by the way.

In retrospect, I would recommend using maybe about a half a box more of green tea. It's really not expensive and it complements the flavor very well. I would also love to try to make a green tea lager, and maybe use a little peppermint schnapps for half of the priming sugar.

While I am at it, I'd also recommend a cream ale primed with peach schnapps. Cause I'm drinking it right now and I am blown away. Also try an american brown and add a half pound of blonde candi sugar, and then dry hop it. Take my advice for whatever you will, I'm a novice brewer but I've tried many a beer and those all are amazing.

Quick Reply