Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Great Lakes Christmas Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #51
JoeCap09
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Brewed your updated recipe last saturday. Came up a little lower on the OG. Kegging next week. Can't wait to try.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #52
BeardedMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So if I wanted to do this with a 5 gallon boil instead of 6.5, would I have to change the amount of hops used? Also would I need to change the amounts of malt extract?

Where do you guys get that much malt extract without breaking the bank? On NB I only see the Alexander's Pale Malt extract and it is $16 for 4 lbs!

Old 11-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #53
remman4
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My LHBS has LME for $2.80/lb and it is fresh!

I wouldn't adjust anything for your batch and see how it comes out, then adjust next time based on your thoughts from this batch

Old 11-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #54
BeardedMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ok some more noob questions:

Could I use 6.6 pounds of LME and use DME for the rest? Is the ratio the same or would I use less DME since it has no water in it?

Could I use all DME without noticing a difference?

How much priming sugar are you guys using?

The grains listed in the recipe are steeped before the "boil" starts, correct?

Should I remove the cinnamon and ginger before I put the wort into the primary or leave them in?

Thanks in advance and sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I do this correctly!

Old 11-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #55
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegenix View Post
Ok some more noob questions:

Could I use 6.6 pounds of LME and use DME for the rest? Is the ratio the same or would I use less DME since it has no water in it?

Could I use all DME without noticing a difference?

How much priming sugar are you guys using?

The grains listed in the recipe are steeped before the "boil" starts, correct?

Should I remove the cinnamon and ginger before I put the wort into the primary or leave them in?

Thanks in advance and sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I do this correctly!
You could do part LME and part DME and you could use all DME but it won't be the same amount as the LME. Here is a formula on how to convert a recipe that uses LME to DME and vice versa:

LME to DME * 0.89
DME to LME * 1.10

If you're doing part DME, I would take the 2.4 lbs of LME you would be subbing for and multiply that by 0.89 to get the amount of DME to add.

I started doing extract kits and they all came with 5 oz of corn sugar to use added to a cup of boiling and cooled water for priming at bottling. I've found that 5 oz is a bit much for 5 gallon batches as most of my beers ended up way too carbed. I've since been using around 4 oz added to a cup of boiling and then cooled water and seem to have much better results with carbonation.

The grains are definitely only steeped. You want the water temp you are steeping at to be around 150°-160° F and the grains are usually steeped for around 20-30 minutes. You do not want to let your water temp get over 170° or you can release tanins into your wort so do not boil your grains.

As for the spices, I would suggest removing the cinnamon and ginger at the end of the boil but this is a matter of personal preference. I would think you would get overwhelming flavors by leaving them in the primary (especially from the ginger) so I would recommend taking them out before racking your wort to primary.

Hope this helps and good luck in your brewing!

Old 11-14-2012, 11:38 PM   #56
BeardedMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan

You could do part LME and part DME and you could use all DME but it won't be the same amount as the LME. Here is a formula on how to convert a recipe that uses LME to DME and vice versa:

LME to DME * 0.89
DME to LME * 1.10

If you're doing part DME, I would take the 2.4 lbs of LME you would be subbing for and multiply that by 0.89 to get the amount of DME to add.

I started doing extract kits and they all came with 5 oz of corn sugar to use added to a cup of boiling and cooled water for priming at bottling. I've found that 5 oz is a bit much for 5 gallon batches as most of my beers ended up way too carbed. I've since been using around 4 oz added to a cup of boiling and then cooled water and seem to have much better results with carbonation.

The grains are definitely only steeped. You want the water temp you are steeping at to be around 150°-160° F and the grains are usually steeped for around 20-30 minutes. You do not want to let your water temp get over 170° or you can release tanins into your wort so do not boil your grains.

As for the spices, I would suggest removing the cinnamon and ginger at the end of the boil but this is a matter of personal preference. I would think you would get overwhelming flavors by leaving them in the primary (especially from the ginger) so I would recommend taking them out before racking your wort to primary.

Hope this helps and good luck in your brewing!
Thanks man! That was extremely helpful. Can't wait to brew this one.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #57
drunken_beard
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

I'm making this recipe tomorrow, thanks for sharing! How much priming sugar should I use when it comes time to bottle?

Old 11-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #58
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunken_beard View Post
I'm making this recipe tomorrow, thanks for sharing! How much priming sugar should I use when it comes time to bottle?
Here you go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan View Post
I started doing extract kits and they all came with 5 oz of corn sugar to use added to a cup of boiling and cooled water for priming at bottling. I've found that 5 oz is a bit much for 5 gallon batches as most of my beers ended up way too carbed. I've since been using around 4 oz added to a cup of boiling and then cooled water (70 degrees or so) and seem to have much better results with carbonation.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #59
drunken_beard
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Thanks! Apparently I missed that in the previous few posts. Doh! Anyway, I made a batch of this 2 days ago and so far it's perfect. You're right about the smell. If it tastes half as good as it smells I'll be one happy hombrewer.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #60
dhathazy
Recipes 

There are also calculators out there where you enter the style of beer, size of batch, etc and it gives you a recommended amount of different types of sugar. I have used this on my past couple of batches and have liked the results. http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html.

My Christmas Ale is now two weeks in the primary. I think I'm going leave in one more week and then bottle. Can't wait to try this stuff! Going for a tapping of Pumking tonight at a local pub!

Quick Reply