Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Gravity way lower than predicted

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 04:27 AM   #1
sweaterman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Gravity way lower than predicted

How the hell does this happen!?

I made this recipe (http://hopville.com/recipe/1647055) and for some reason the original gravity came out way too low. I wanted this to be a stronger beer, but I am going to end up with a pretty average ABV.

I just don't get it. My batch is nearly exactly 5 gallons and I put 9lbs of LME in. When I took the gravity reading after I had cooled it, it was 1.052. Adjusting for temperature (took it at about 76F) that would put the OG around 1053-1054. Anyway, anyone have any clues?

Be kinder than necessary, everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 05:40 AM   #2
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 23

If it's an extract recipe, and you put the right amount of extract in, and your volume of wort was correct, then it's very unlikely you undershot your OG. It's safe to assume your gravity was what the software said it should be.

Did you do a partial boil and top off with water? It's pretty difficult to get it to mix right so sometimes the sugars are heavier towards the bottom and it can throw your reading off. It's very common to get bad hydrometer readings when topping off with water...

Bottom line: If you're sure you put everything you said in there, and the final volume of wort wasn't off, neither was your OG. So no worries!

"Lets say your local bar pours an American pint where 15% of the beer is missing due to headspace. Every 6.66 beers you drink you 'll have been missing 1 entire beer". 6.66 beers!. I wonder who's really responsible for the missing beers... I don't know, maybe Satan??!

Old 09-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 49

9 pounds of DME in 5 gallons of water will make a wort with a gravity of 1.079 every time. If you added that much extract to your recipe, you will have a beer with about 8% ABV. Chances are your extract was not fully mixed into the wort, and your hydrometer sample was slightly watered down. Dont worry, it is impossible to "miss your gravity" with extract. It is very common to have inaccurate hydrometer readings with extract, though.

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Old 09-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

It didn't, it just APPEARS to be.

Attention New Brewers, yes your original gravity reading is wrong, don't panic.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

jonny_crash Likes This 

Quick Reply