New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Gravity is always lower than projected

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 01:22 AM   #1
OxfordCatacombsBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Gravity is always lower than projected

I have been brewing for almost a year now, about 30 batches under my belt.
I have noticed that every one of my batches end up with a lower gravity than projected, even my extract batches. I use Brewers friend recipe calculator for every recipe and the projected OG is always about 20% higher on their than what I end up with. This is when I do full boils or 3 gallon boils. I have the batch size set to 5 gallons and everything. I adjust my hydrometer readings to 60 degrees F too.
Since this problem is consistant, I just make my recipes about 20% stronger, but this is no way to brew, especially with how often I brew. Any help appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2013, 01:48 AM   #2
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by OxfordCatacombsBrewing View Post
I have been brewing for almost a year now, about 30 batches under my belt.
I have noticed that every one of my batches end up with a lower gravity than projected, even my extract batches. I use Brewers friend recipe calculator for every recipe and the projected OG is always about 20% higher on their than what I end up with. This is when I do full boils or 3 gallon boils. I have the batch size set to 5 gallons and everything. I adjust my hydrometer readings to 60 degrees F too.
Since this problem is consistant, I just make my recipes about 20% stronger, but this is no way to brew, especially with how often I brew. Any help appreciated.
Have you tried a different recipe calculator? Post a recipe and we can see what it looks like in BeerSmith...If you are off with extract batches something is up because your conversion is taken care of with those so efficiency is not an issue.

What kind of yeast? Do you use starters for liquid? How about fermentation temperature control?

Primary: Hefeweizen
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, Belgian Pale Ale, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 03-28-2013, 04:36 AM   #3
Cellarbrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

When you make 5 gallons of wort are you measuring out 5 gallons of water and then adding the extract?

Old 03-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
pjcampbell
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

With BeerSmith I'm within .001 of OG estimates. E.g. 1.056 vs 1.057

Old 03-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
BxBrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I went through all of this too. I chalked it up to inconsistency with the LME i had been using. Try a different extract. Ive found Morebeers to be the best on the planet.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
454k30
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I too had this issue when using LME. I found that a combination of things was going on. First, a lot of extract recipes assume a full boil and therefore a certain amount of boil off. Second, I was not getting all of the LME out of the container that it came in. There was a good amount of LME stuck inside the jug after I dumped it. I now add hot water and to the jug and make sure I get all of the LME out. The combination of these two things had big effects on my beers. Now I am getting the numbers I am looking for. I always use Briess extract and have good luck with it.

Quick Reply