Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Gravity

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013, 01:39 AM   #1
Jbird
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Gravity

I just brewed this past weekend and I have a few questions on gravity. Before I pitched the yeast I checked the gravity. It was a little low. How can I get the gravity where I want it? Do I let it sit more? Do I have to boil more? I know that once l it's fermenting that you need to check the gravity and it will go down with time. I just don't know what to do if its lower then I need. How do I make it go from 1.066 to 1.078?
I hope you can underst d the the question.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 01:48 AM   #2
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 464

You'll be fine. That is a great original gravity.

Some guys keep dried malt extract on hand to bring SG up.

You could boil longer. What style are you? ..all grain, brew in a bag, extract?

Longer boils on extract mat get singed on the bottom.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:00 AM   #3
Jbird
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynachrome
You'll be fine. That is a great original gravity.

Some guys keep dried malt extract on hand to bring SG up.

You could boil longer. What style are you? ..all grain, brew in a bag, extract?

Longer boils on extract mat get singed on the bottom.
It's a one gallon all grain IPA. It is my first all grain so I did a some batch.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:54 AM   #4
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 342 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 117

With all grain, as you learn, you get better, OGs will go up. Also, readings aren't always perfect because wort isn't always perfectly mixed / uniform. Many do just boil longer until the gravity is as desired.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing, visiting the great breweries / brewpubs in CO!

Old 02-27-2013, 04:08 AM   #5
Jbird
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclman
With all grain, as you learn, you get better, OGs will go up. Also, readings aren't always perfect because wort isn't always perfectly mixed / uniform. Many do just boil longer until the gravity is as desired.
Yes I was just thinking it would be closer to what I wanted.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:46 AM   #6
GilSwillBasementBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 19

How fine your grain is milled has a direct impact impact on your OG also. After a few batches(keep good notes) you can figure out your efficiency and the. Adjust your recipes accordingly. I typically get around 85% efficiency doing all grain with batch sparging. Most recipes are gauged around 75% I use beer alchemy punch in the ingredients then adjust the efficiency for mash to 85% and that tells me what my OG should be for 85% and I'm usually within a few points +\- you can also work it the other way by seeing what the recipe should be based in the 75%Average for most kits then set your efficiency to 85% and decrease the quantities of fermentables till you reach the OG in the original recipe. Hope some of this info helps out.

Beer Plus Science = .....Good!!!!! By: Adam Savage

Old 02-27-2013, 04:54 AM   #7
Jbird
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilSwillBasementBrews
How fine your grain is milled has a direct impact impact on your OG also. After a few batches(keep good notes) you can figure out your efficiency and the. Adjust your recipes accordingly. I typically get around 85% efficiency doing all grain with batch sparging. Most recipes are gauged around 75% I use beer alchemy punch in the ingredients then adjust the efficiency for mash to 85% and that tells me what my OG should be for 85% and I'm usually within a few points +\- you can also work it the other way by seeing what the recipe should be based in the 75%Average for most kits then set your efficiency to 85% and decrease the quantities of fermentables till you reach the OG in the original recipe. Hope some of this info helps out.
No that helps a lot. I'm still new to it so it will take me a while to fully understand.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:15 AM   #8
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 464

I don't do this in-depth, but a lot of guys calculate how much volume they need to loose.

Try brewmate or brewtarget or one of the programs out there. They help dial you in.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If your gravity was low you should have boiled longer.(before adding the hops) However, once you add the hops the longer you boil the further off you will be from your intended end product. You need to know what you starting gravity should be before making your first hop addition.

Quick Reply