Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Grapefruit wheat recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2013, 12:23 AM   #1
defdans
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Grapefruit wheat recipe?

For my next batch I am going to make a wheat beer for my wife and she requested something similar to schoffenhofers grapefruit wheat. Looks like that's actually a low abv, almost shandy-like beer, so at this point she's ok with just a wheat beer brewed with some grapefruit. Anyone make anything like this before? Any recipes or suggestions?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
defdans
Recipes 

Nothing? Did I post to the wrong board or are there just no recipes for Grapefruit beer?

Old 02-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
AVLbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Some people have adapted this recipe to use Simply Grapefruit juice instead of Simply Limeade. I haven't tried the grapefruit version so I can't attest to it's quality, or if it's similar to the beer you listed, but it sounded good. I just bottled the lime version a few days ago, and the sample I took was awesome.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/lemo...weizen-255659/

Good Luck!

Old 02-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
defdans
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVLbrewing View Post
Some people have adapted this recipe to use Simply Grapefruit juice instead of Simply Limeade. I haven't tried the grapefruit version so I can't attest to it's quality, or if it's similar to the beer you listed, but it sounded good. I just bottled the lime version a few days ago, and the sample I took was awesome.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/lemo...weizen-255659/

Good Luck!
Awesome, thanks. I remember reading through some of that thread, but wasn't looking a lemon-lime. I do see the grapefruit suggestion in there and will give that shot.

Thanks!

Old 02-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #5
Vman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I did a wheat with Orange/Lemon and Corriander. I made an extract out of rind from the fruit and the corriander seeds + vodka. Left it in a jar for two weeks to take on all the flavour then passed it through a strainer and dumped the extract into secondary. It was outstanding and we had people begging for bottles to take home. It may be a option for you... just add the grapefruit rind. Not the peel, just the rind. That's where all the flavour is anyways.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
defdans
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman View Post
I did a wheat with Orange/Lemon and Corriander. I made an extract out of rind from the fruit and the corriander seeds + vodka. Left it in a jar for two weeks to take on all the flavour then passed it through a strainer and dumped the extract into secondary. It was outstanding and we had people begging for bottles to take home. It may be a option for you... just add the grapefruit rind. Not the peel, just the rind. That's where all the flavour is anyways.
Thanks, that sounds good too. How much did you use? 5 gallon batch? Could i add it to the primary and let it sit an extra week? I'm not fond of cleaning carboys, so if i can avoid moving to a secondary, that's my preference.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
Vman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I used two oranges and two lemons. + a tablespoon of corriander... I know, doesn't help you. But, you could probably use the zest from three grapefruits, and three or four ounces of Vodka (make sure the zest is covered) then drop it into your primary (you aren't going to do secondary) after primary fermentation is over.

Quick Reply