Got a pound of citra and a pounc of falconers flight now what

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morganamps

Reaction score
For Father's Day my out if town daughter sent me a pound of citra and a pound of falconers flight. I am looking for a great ipa recipe to incorporate them into.

Suggestions? I keep doing searches but end up chasing rabbits.

Come up with a recipe on your own, based on what you like in an ipa. Look up clones for some of your favorite beers to get an idea.

I made this one recently with a lb of citra in a 10G batch.

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/home-brew-43-ipa-iii-zombie-dust

It wasn't quite IPA status, but a strong pale ale. You could easily bump up the base malt a little or kick in a pound of sugar and you'd be there. Next time I make it i'm going to use a longer knock out whirlpool and go up to at least 5-6 oz dry hops.

Also make sure that if your sulfates aren't high to start with add gysum. I was targetting 250ppm in this batch, and next time i'll go 300.

Get some Magnum or Chinook for a good bittering hop, then use the Citra and the FF as aroma and flavor additions. Use mostly 2-row with a little light crystal (5-10%) and maybe a little Vienna or Munich (5-10%) and go nuts. With that much hops you shouldn't need to buy much for a while unless you go crazy and do some imperials...

One thing I will say about Citra is that it is very easy to over use. It is a very intense hop, so just be careful. If you want to do a Single-Hop(ish) beer with citra, I would give the Kern River Citra DIPA clone a try. You can find it in the recipe section of the forum under the India Pale Ale category. If you don't have any amarillo, you could try mixing the falconers flight in instead, I am sure it would be a pretty good substitute. Have fun, Citra is one of my favorite hops to brew with, when you get it right it is hard to beat.

I made an excellent IPA with falconer's flight. It was my best brew to date.

12# 2-Row
1 # C-60
0.66# Vienna
0.25# Acid malt (to lower mash pH)
0.5 # Table sugar added to boil

Mashed at 152 F for 60 minutes

Boil 60 minutes

Hops:
FWH: Magnum 0.75 oz
15 min: FF 1 oz
10 min: FF 1 oz
5 min: FF 1 oz
Flame out and started cooling to 180F
Added 2 oz FF and did 45 minute hopstand and let cool to 150F

Cooled and fermented at 62 F with WL 001 for 10 days.
Dry hopped with 3 oz of FF for 5 days then kegged.

Expected OG ~1.077 FG 1.018 for 5 gallons (I collected too much pre-boil so ended at OG 1.066 with 6 gallons and FG was drier at 1.011)

I just wish I had an additional half pound of FF to do another one of these.

I made this one recently with a lb of citra in a 10G batch.

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/home-brew-43-ipa-iii-zombie-dust

It wasn't quite IPA status, but a strong pale ale. You could easily bump up the base malt a little or kick in a pound of sugar and you'd be there. Next time I make it i'm going to use a longer knock out whirlpool and go up to at least 5-6 oz dry hops.

Also make sure that if your sulfates aren't high to start with add gysum. I was targetting 250ppm in this batch, and next time i'll go 300.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/3-floyds-zombie-dust-attempt-help-info-requested-245456/

I love Citra! Just brewed another BPA with it. 3/4 oz Nugget for bittering @ 60 min, 1oz Citra @ 30, 1@ 15, 1@ 0 and 1 for the dry hop. 12oz Crystal 20L, 8oz CaraPils, and because I like mine a little sweeter 12oz honey malt all as steeping grains, and 7lbs of ultra light LME. Using Wyeast 3724 (Belgium Saison) Lots of tropical notes, melon, not overly bitter and oh so good. Little funk from the saison yeast but not much as it ferments at +/- 72 for 1.5 weeks and out to the garage to finish up for 1.5 weeks at +/- 90 degrees.

Zombie dust on the left and an Imperial IPA with falconers flight on the right.

Used wlp001 and 007 on the zombie and mangrove M44 west coast on the imperial.

image-1276922256.jpg

For Father's Day my out if town daughter sent me a pound of citra and a pound of falconers flight. I am looking for a great ipa recipe to incorporate them into.

So how about
  • Summer Ale
  • Pale Ale
  • ESB
  • IPA
  • Porter

I mean you can use falconers flight for just about any American Style Ale..

Just take your favorite recipies, calculate the IBUs, and get brewing...

DPB

I second the Kern river double citra, If you want something a touch sweeter to pair with the intense over ripe fruit of the citra this is the way to go. The honey malt adds a new layer of complexity.

Cheers!

Make a Zombie Dust clone with the citra.

Edit: Well I suppose I should have read more of the posts first! Let us know how it turns out.

Zombie dust for the win!

Bottled tonight now all I have to do us wait.

3F Zombie Dust is awesome theres a clone floating around on here that Ive done about 4 times now,....

NVM, just saw the second page of this thread- brew on!

I have made several Falconers 7Cs brews this past year. Got a kilo (about 2 pounds) from a small brewery for 25 bucks (language barrier, I thought he would only sell by the kilo due to his pricing sheet) My favorite was a BIAB "minimum" IPA, targeting the lowest end of the style for bitterness and gravity, to coax my wife into IPA territory. It could be considered a pale ale if the efficiency is lower so its safe to up the grain and hops bill a bit. My fermenter was unheated and ambient temps in my house were under 15 C so it came out crisp and so clear that my homebrew friends asked if I had filtered it.

Recipe: Falcor's Flight
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 18.06 l
Post Boil Volume: 14.56 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 12.00 l
Bottling Volume: 10.50 l
Estimated OG: 1.058 SG
Estimated Color: 8.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 42.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 84.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
12.00 l Oppama Japan Water (Sagami River Sourced Water -
2.77 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 88.9 %
0.35 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 11.1 %
12.00 g Falconer's Flight 7 C's Hop Blend 9.9%AA Hop
0.16 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast
6.00 g Falconer's Flight 7 C's Hop Blend 9.9%AA Hop

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 3.12 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Saccharification Add 19.97 l of water at 67.7 C 64.4 C 90 min
Mash Out Heat to 75.6 C over 7 min 75.6 C 10 min

I would add grain, preferably malted. Hops by themselves are too bitter..

Falconer's Flight, IPA
You should ask, my favorite IPA now.
This was adapted from a recipe Voltin suggested last year on these pages. Finished carbonating it last week and boy, what an aroma and what a flavor. Here is the recipe followed by a photo of the beer.

image.jpg

Back