Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Gonna try out a full boil and had a couple of questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
seasum
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Gonna try out a full boil and had a couple of questions

The first off, is it really that big of a difference? I have a honey bee ale kit from Midwest in secondary and a Peach Wheat from a recipe on here in primary now, and are going to be my first "real" batches since we messed up the first one really badly because nobody said to use two of those awful prehopped kits when I bought them.

Second is, if all this wort is evaporating, how do you know when you are at 5 gallons in the brewpot? I don't want the smell of burning tape every time I fire up the turkey fryer to brew. Do you just go by the fill line on your carboys (which I still haven't made...oops)?

Either way, I'm trying this out all because of this thread.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/if-f...ible-do-89826/.

Also, can anybody point me towards the most affordable DIY Immersion Chiller, seems pretty necessary unless I plan to over-evaporate and add ice, which I really don't know would be sanitized.

Reason: Chilling the wort.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
schweaty
Doe Re Mi Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 29

As far as immersion chiller is concerned, here is a video from HBT member Bobby M on how to assemble one.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply