Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Going from partial boil to full boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
Guiness4Strength
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Going from partial boil to full boil

After upgrading my kettle to an 8 gal. I would rather do full boil extracts. My question is how should I alter my recipes? I'm using NB kits for the time being. Ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 12:54 AM   #2
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Not really, just go for it. You'll end up getting better utilization from your hops, so your IBU's will increase, but only slightly, and not really enough to be concerned, IMO.

I started slow, and would save off 1 gallon, that was half frozen in the freezer, enough to start getting ice chips in it after 3-4 hours in the freezer. I'd use my wort chiller and get it down to as low as it would go for the tap water, and then move to fermentation bucket, and pop in the last top off gallon of the really cold water to take me down to perfect pitching temps everytime!

Old 06-28-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
NCGrayson
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i take it youre asking hoe much water to start with in a full boil vs partial??

Old 06-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
stompbox
Served up in the backyard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiness4Strength View Post
After upgrading my kettle to an 8 gal. I would rather do full boil extracts. My question is how should I alter my recipes? I'm using NB kits for the time being. Ideas?
The only thing that will need to change is your hop amounts, this change is due to better hop utilization. Everything else remains the same.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:50 AM   #5
Chief1973
Recipes 

I too use NB kits and do full boils. I don't change anything other than the amount of boil water; 6-6.5 gallons to account for boil off. I still only steep the grains (if included in kit) in the recommended amount of water, which I believe is something like 2.5 gallons per NB. I personally don't adjust the hops.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
smithtg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I start with 6 gal, steep the grains in the full amount, heat to boil, take pot off heat, add extract, return to boil, add hops after hot break and finish out the batch. Immersion cooler (and sometimes precooler)

Get a pot with a bottom valve and bung, much easier to transfer wort to fermenter

Old 07-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
brtisbuck
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I would do very few things different. The difference in hop utilization should be hardly noticable. There really isn't even a need to be too picky when steeping grains as this is not nearly reliant on specific ph levels aquired by volume, temp, and time as is a mash. I find in my set up that 6.25 gallons of water to start plus my extract leaves me with minimal top off at the end of an hour boil. I do add any LME in the last 5 minutes of my boil. (if using a kit that is all LME, I would add 25% at the start and the rest at the end). This will help to reduce caramelization of the extract helping to prevent some extract twang and keep your color lighter.

Have a plan for cooling that volume of wort quickly. If you don't have a wort chiller an ice bath in a stationary tub works pretty well. If using the ice bath be sure to add cold water to the ice and not just ice.

Cheers and good luck.

In the botte: Wheat, American Pale Ale
In Primary #1: Light Hybrid #1
Primary #2: Light Hybrid #2
On Deck: IPA
In Design: California Common

founder26 Likes This 
Old 07-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
NCGrayson
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtisbuck View Post
I would do very few things different. The difference in hop utilization should be hardly noticable. There really isn't even a need to be too picky when steeping grains as this is not nearly reliant on specific ph levels aquired by volume, temp, and time as is a mash. I find in my set up that 6.25 gallons of water to start plus my extract leaves me with minimal top off at the end of an hour boil. I do add any LME in the last 5 minutes of my boil. (if using a kit that is all LME, I would add 25% at the start and the rest at the end). This will help to reduce caramelization of the extract helping to prevent some extract twang and keep your color lighter.

Have a plan for cooling that volume of wort quickly. If you don't have a wort chiller an ice bath in a stationary tub works pretty well. If using the ice bath be sure to add cold water to the ice and not just ice.

Cheers and good luck.
very informative post.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #9
NCGrayson
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

on a side note, will there be any adjustment of my OG and FG doing a full boil vs. what the NB extract kit instructions say for a partial boil?

Old 07-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Your post boil OG should be the same....your pre boil OG will be lower since you are starting out with more volume than the batch size. Expected FG will be the same also. Your kit OG should be based on post boil fermentor volume.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Quick Reply