Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Going to attempt a "Stella" clone..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
scottmd06
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Going to attempt a "Stella" clone..

I've only been at this for a couple weeks, so I'm going to stick in my comfort zone of liquid malts for now. I found a company called Brewferm who have some European style liquid malts for Lagers...

I think I want to try their Belgian Pilsner kit, but dry-hop some Saaz, and add a small amount of Sucrose to sneak in that sweetness Stella has..

Their exact yeast strain is kept secret so I'll have to find the closest I can.. Has to produce that dry taste that Stella has.. any ideas??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Sucrose is highly ferment able and will not add sweetness to the finished beer. It will lighten body of the beer. Too much and it makes the beer thin and cidery

I recommend using this kit and following it to the letter. Use the White Labs Czech Bud yeast and make a big starter. Ferment cold at 50-55F A consistent cold fermentation temp is important for making a clean lager. Most people can't maintain a steady lager temp with out a special fridge set up for fermentation. Good Luck!

Old 11-12-2009, 03:58 PM   #3
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I hope you have temperature control for you fermentation and the lagering period.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
scottmd06
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oh you're right... I'll need to hold off on this one until I can find a way to keep it cold. Unless I rip out the racks in my fridge and let it ferment in there lol

Old 11-13-2009, 07:45 PM   #5
maida7
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmd06 View Post
Oh you're right... I'll need to hold off on this one until I can find a way to keep it cold. Unless I rip out the racks in my fridge and let it ferment in there lol
That's what most people do. You will also need a temp controller to dial in the proper temp on the fridge. If your serious and have the space for it, you can usually find old refrigerators for cheap or free. Many people update their appliances and need to get rid of the old one. Cruise the rich neighborhood on big item garbage pick up day and your sure to score one.

Fermentation temp control is a VERY important aspect to making great beer.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
scottmd06
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have a one bedroom apartment. So plugging in another full size fridge is not an option here.. =(

Old 11-14-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
maida7
Recipes 

Then you would be best served sticking with ales. Even ale temps in the lower to mid 60's can be hard to manage with out a cold place like a basement. You could move

Quick Reply