Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Garlic beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2011, 12:15 PM   #51
BsmtBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Has anybody done a garlic beer with good results? I'd really like to hear about it and see the recipe.

I think it could be a great thing, but would like to hear about what quantities and when to add worked best. I'm thinking adding some roasted cloves to secondary might be good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2011, 06:29 PM   #52
Cranapple
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hmmm... There are an awful lot of people in this thread saying "I'm going to go try a garlic beer!" with zero results so far.

I strongly suspect that they are dead. Let this be a lesson to us all.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:30 PM   #53
EBloom97
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I brewed a garlic beer today, and I intend to post my tasting notes assuming I survive.

Here's the recipe specifics:
Smoked Garlic Porter
8 lbs american 2 row
2 lbs smoked malt
1 lb victory malt
12 oz crystal 80
8 oz chocolate malt

Mashed at 151*F for 75 minutes

75 minute boil
1 oz northern brewer added @ 70 minutes
1 oz willamette added @ 10 minutes
4 medium-sized cloves of raw garlic added @ 10 minutes

OG: 1.064
Yeast: Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley Ale

I also intend to roast 4 more medium-sized cloves of garlic in vegetable oil and add that to the secondary. Dry garlicing FTW.

Stay tuned...

Old 08-01-2011, 03:07 AM   #54
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

No offense but I wanna puke just reading about garlic beer. is this a gag? does your co-worker like garlic that much.

Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 08-16-2011, 08:48 PM   #55
EBloom97
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBloom97 View Post
I brewed a garlic beer today, and I intend to post my tasting notes assuming I survive.

Here's the recipe specifics:
Smoked Garlic Porter
8 lbs american 2 row
2 lbs smoked malt
1 lb victory malt
12 oz crystal 80
8 oz chocolate malt

Mashed at 151*F for 75 minutes

75 minute boil
1 oz northern brewer added @ 70 minutes
1 oz willamette added @ 10 minutes
4 medium-sized cloves of raw garlic added @ 10 minutes

OG: 1.064
Yeast: Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley Ale

I also intend to roast 4 more medium-sized cloves of garlic in vegetable oil and add that to the secondary. Dry garlicing FTW.

Stay tuned...
Yeah, so I added the roasted garlic as planned about a week ago, and I kegged it today.

Tasted the gravity sample, and it was noticeably smokey/roasted garlicy. The raw garlic did not come through nearly as much as the roasted garlic added to the fermenter did. You could say the garlic flavor enhances the smokey/roasty characteristics of the beer... but I wouldn't.

It's not going to be for everyone, this beer. It's clearly a taste that fans of garlic would like, and everyone else would dislike. To be honest I kind of wish I didn't use any garlic in this recipe because it seems like the base beer would have been better without it.

I'll report back when I've had a glass of it carbed, but I think I've got my answer.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:11 PM   #56
waldoar15
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

You know, I love garlic and even grow quite a bit of it, but I think it would probably be best if you roasted it (without the normal olive oil). Even then, IDK if I'd drink beer with it in there.

Whatever floats your boat though.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:32 PM   #57
knotquiteawake
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 19

subscribed for results!

Old 09-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #58
EBloom97
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBloom97 View Post
Yeah, so I added the roasted garlic as planned about a week ago, and I kegged it today.

Tasted the gravity sample, and it was noticeably smokey/roasted garlicy. The raw garlic did not come through nearly as much as the roasted garlic added to the fermenter did. You could say the garlic flavor enhances the smokey/roasty characteristics of the beer... but I wouldn't.

It's not going to be for everyone, this beer. It's clearly a taste that fans of garlic would like, and everyone else would dislike. To be honest I kind of wish I didn't use any garlic in this recipe because it seems like the base beer would have been better without it.

I'll report back when I've had a glass of it carbed, but I think I've got my answer.
As it turns out, this mellowed out really nicely to be basically exactly what I wanted it to be. The aroma of garlic is there in the nose, then it has a nice smooth garlic taste to it, but without ceasing to be recognizable as a smoked porter. If the idea of a garlic beer intrigues you, and someone handed you this beer to try, you would be pleased with it. It's a great pairing beer too for garlic-laden dishes - I served it with steak the other night - and it would probably be great to cook with too.

I'm thinking of serving it at a party later this month. We'll see if the unwashed masses enjoy it as much as I do...
Old 10-10-2011, 07:06 PM   #59
FloridaCracker
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

EBloom,

Thank you for A) Revivng this thread, and B) Actually going through with trying it, and C) Telling us what you thought....

I'm kinda new to brewing beer. I've only done kits. But I have recently judged in my local clubs contest and that got me thinking "why not tweak a recipie of my own." I am now thinking of a pumpkin beer, but just this morning I thought to myself while craving a hamburger and french fries "imagine a beer that would impart a residual garlic mouth-feel to compliment a hearty cheddar cheese burger."

I searched HBT and found this thread and it has helped me. Some of the nay-sayers had me nervous, but just the idea of cooking with it makes me want to try... So thanks to you I think I'm going to. I will use a 1 time use fermenter to do about 2 gallons worth, then store it in 16oz publix club soda bottles (their super cheap, and already sterile). If I don't like the way they compliment a meal, then I will just use them for the many other great ideas I saw previously mentioned.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:14 PM   #60
keys2heaven
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Love the concept, but garlic always makes me think of salt. What would you pair a beer like this with? Seems like a Jones soda kinda concept.

Maybe we should make some Thanksgiving dinner beer! For example: turkey beer, garlic potato beer, yam beer, gravy beer, cranberry beer. Pumpkin is already a given.

Quick Reply