Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Funny Youtube brewing video :-)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2008, 04:21 PM   #71
7Enigma
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1v1116
I maybe wrong about this, but aren't all canned goods canned at temperatures at or above boiling to ensure sterility. so using a double boiler like that would prevent it from going above 212F as long as there is water in the outer pan. wouldn't this mean that the pressure in the can won't reach the point where it will explode?
Most canned goods are heated to temperatures at/above boiling, but this is WITHOUT being sealed. They are topped similarly to the way we do in the home brew (sterilized "caps" put onto sterile product). Many canning techniques then use the vacuum generated by the cooling air above the product to seal the jar. Pressure inward and outward are two very different things. Heating any enclosed container to at/near boiling is a serious risk, and this stuff would be like napalm, thick and sticky and it would instantly cause at least 2nd degree burns if not 3rd. Warming the can in boiling water taken off the stove first would be the safest way to do it (as you know the contents of the can will never get too hot).

I dunno, I just brewed my first batch and just cracked the top on one side, and an air hole on the other. Took about a minute to drain. The slow drain time allowed me to stir with my right hand to make sure nothing stuck to the bottom or clumped together (was off the stove of course). I figure if you're going to spend 2-3 hours for the initial brew, what's an extra minute?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2008, 09:29 PM   #72
Richard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ya gotta love this guy. Even though he does so much wrong he's pretty meticulous about it. He seems so proud of the equipment his Uncle passed on to him...he's discovered the joy of homebrewing - good for him. Someone just needs to give him a few pointers, and he'll be a master brewer in no time!

Old 04-07-2008, 09:35 PM   #73
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 621 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean
This guy needs medication.
Minor edit for you.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:11 PM   #74
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
Ya gotta love this guy. Even though he does so much wrong he's pretty meticulous about it. He seems so proud of the equipment his Uncle passed on to him...he's discovered the joy of homebrewing - good for him. Someone just needs to give him a few pointers, and he'll be a master brewer in no time!
I already sent him advice and even the link to this site, which he thanked me for. He really does like the basic American lager type kit and he does use LME with it now.

For the thousands of "brewers" that just want to do the above and are happy with what they make and do not feel like progressing further, then most of his video is not that bad.

Sure as hell is not advanced brewing by any means though.

As for an exploding can, do you seriously think putting a can in boiling water for only 5 minutes is going to create any significant pressure?? I do not. That said I did tell him for safety's sake he should punch a hole in the can.

As for the road rage video, that was staged in a wheat field. (I'm still a tad concerned about fireing firearms out of a moving vehicle though. )

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 04-07-2008, 10:49 PM   #75
gruversm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

He's not right....

On Tap:
Horehound Tripel,Gumballhead,Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone, Hefeweizen

Old 04-08-2008, 04:17 PM   #76
Shahn
Recipes 

I love his videos. He seems really happy with what he makes and he also appears to be very open to criticism and advice.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:21 AM   #77
brewskis
Recipes 

just brewed this today, looking forward to tasting

Old 11-03-2010, 10:55 AM   #78
ILuvIPA
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Love this thread, and I'm really relieved to get the whole "what happens when I die" question resolved. Speaking of the white haired gentleman. . .he looks really familiar. Bilbo Baggins?

Old 04-29-2014, 12:56 PM   #79
QuadConPana
Recipes 

FYI, at normal atmospheric pressure, boiling H2O can't reach a temperature above 212. An aqueous solution of anything is going to have a boiling point higher that 212. LME has so much dissolved that its boiling point is going to be way above that, so the can can't explode. Sure, if there's something like ETOH in the can that has a boiling point lower than water's, you might have a problem.

BTW, he also has a video called "Beer and Guns" I don't have the courage to watch it.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:43 PM   #80
jbauer1
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

wow! he should just drink rubbing alcohol, it would be cheaper and probably less dangerous.

Quick Reply