Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Funnel filter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2010, 01:36 AM   #1
johnodon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts

Default Funnel filter

Just a quick question guys...

I was tranferring my wort from the kettle to the primary via a funnel with a filter. There was sooooo much sediment in the wort that it wouldn't even pass through the filter. It was down to a trickle.

Is the filter really necessary? After I fille the funnel once, I was using my thief to stir it around just to get it to drain. Once it did, I removed teh filter and poured the wort straight in unfiltered. I hope this wasn't a bad idea!

TIA,

John

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2010, 01:51 AM   #2
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I use a fine mesh strainer. I used to just dump the whole thing in there and not worry about it. My beers have gotten better since then, but I have no way of knowing how big of an impact the strainer has had. The strainer is probably not necessary.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 08-31-2010, 02:01 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

It really doesn't matter either way.

Some dump everything in, without straining, just pour it in the bucket or in the funnel....Some use a big strainer that fit in the funnel for a carboy, or a sanitized 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag in the bucket...

I have done it all ways. It really doesn't matter...anything will settle.

In other words, there is no wrong way to do it, or better way, or way that will make the best beer...they all work...the choice is what will work the best for you. That's how you develop you own unique brewing process. By trying all ways and deciding what works best for you.

What I do with my IC, is chill the wort, then I lean the bottom of my autosiphon about two coils up from the bottom on the metal of the siphon. That rests it above most of the break material and trub, then I rack it to the fermenter until I'm down to that and carefully lower the siphon down into the gunk, just trying to get as much of the wort as possible without letting in the hops and break matter.

But pretty much up until I got my immersion chiller for christmas last year I just dumped for the majority of my batches.

Everything is fine, it won't affect the beer one way or another. It will settle down anyway.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Nateo Likes This 
Old 08-31-2010, 02:19 AM   #4
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I just pour mine in without filtering it. Like Revvy said, it will settle out and I have found that it really doesn't take that much, if any, extra time to settle with or without filtering. I originally tired it the same way you did and had the same results, so I haven't used that filter in years.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:44 AM   #5
johnodon
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts

Thanks guys. I feel better now.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:04 AM   #6
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I put an extra fine hop bag over my funnel filter to strain better. When the flow slows to a trickle, I rinse the filter and bag off, dunk or spray with sanatizer and repeat.

Personally, I like taking an extra 5-10 minutes to get that gunk out. ALOT still settles out later on, but its nice to pick up some clarification wherever I can.

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Old 09-01-2010, 09:43 PM   #7
jamesjensen1068
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I started using the strainer funnel due to the fact that I like to do yeast washing. I feel it makes it easier to wash the yeast.

Cheers

Quick Reply