Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Full boils on the stove top

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2009, 11:53 PM   #1
Honus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Full boils on the stove top

My wife and I have been doing partial boils (about 2.5-3 gallons) and would really like to step up to full boils, but we live in a condo and don't think it would be wise to put a banjo burner on our balcony.

Before I drop some serious money on a 7 gallon pot I wanted to find out if anyone has been successful doing a full 5 gallon boil on a gas stove top.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2009, 11:56 PM   #2
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Yes, several people on here do them. When I boil in the kitchen, I straddle the pot over two burners and crank them both.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:22 AM   #3
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

You could also try buying a canning element. However, if your stove is a GE product, don't even bother with that!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 11-13-2009, 12:28 AM   #4
sketerbuck
Lifetime Member

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

hotstick might help if you cant reach a boil

Old 11-13-2009, 12:46 AM   #5
Honus
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies!

Our stove is gas, 4 burners with 9" (on center) between the front and back burners and only 17" between the burners and the microwave that's directly above it.

The stove is GE, but I think the canning element is for electric stoves. I did a quick search on "hotstick" but didn't find anything that seemed like it would apply - so what is it?

Old 11-13-2009, 12:48 AM   #6
BangorBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You can split the wort up into two separate but equal pots and calculate hop additions accordingly. I use two pots to get the wort to a boil and then transfer to my 32 quart pot. From there it takes just a few more minutes to get it back to rolling and I'm off. My stove is small, low grade and electric, but it works just fine.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:53 AM   #7
Nugent
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangorBrewer View Post
You can split the wort up into two separate but equal pots and calculate hop additions accordingly. I use two pots to get the wort to a boil and then transfer to my 32 quart pot. From there it takes just a few more minutes to get it back to rolling and I'm off. My stove is small, low grade and electric, but it works just fine.
+1. I do all-grain this way, but started by doing split extract boils.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:00 AM   #8
Honus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangorBrewer View Post
Awesome idea! I could get a 7+ gallon pot and do 1/2 in there and 1/2 in the pot I already have.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:02 AM   #9
sketerbuck
Lifetime Member

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

heat stick is basically a hot water heater element that is on the end of a piece of plastic pipe. I know this sounds crazy but if you use gfci outlet its safe. you can build one for about 50 bucks. I can boil 14 gallons in a keggle with a small 50000 btu burner with the help of a heatstick. Without the stick theres no chance. You can find a DIY build for these if you search brewing heat stick

Old 11-13-2009, 01:09 AM   #10
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honus View Post
The stove is GE, but I think the canning element is for electric stoves.
You are correct sir, missed that part of your post.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Quick Reply