*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Full boils in extract brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2011, 05:34 PM   #31
Jazman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDad View Post
Hmm. Yea. Foam. I just sanitized a 6gal carboy, mixed the starsan into water first (no foam), sloshed it around inside the carboy and now I have ~3gallons of foam. I'm rinsing it out.
Instead of sloshing/agitating it, just carefully roll the liquid around the inside of your carboy. Remember, you just want to coat the surfaces to disinfect. The more you agitate, the more foam you'll get. So, try not to agitate and you'll minimize the foam you get.

Jaz

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 05:38 PM   #32
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

If you really don't like the foam you can pick up some Iodophor, IO Star, or Saniclean for sanitizing your equipment. These are all perfectly suitable alternatives to StarSan, & none of them foam like StarSan.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 04-25-2011, 05:54 PM   #33
cincybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
I barely ever get foam in my primary because I fill the water first and add the StarSan after. If you put the StarSan in first and fill on top of it the agitation will cause it to foam up way more. I do get lots of foam however on my strainer and another item or two since I move the sanitizing water from my primary to a bucket and when doing that the agitation creates a lot of foam in my sanitizing bucket. And I just leave the foam on, never been a problem.

Rev.
I added water and then added starsan for the first time friday and there was no foam at all so I was worried I didn't have the correct ratio. I ended up dumping it, then adding the star san first which gave me a ton of foam. Sometimes the foam gives me solace that it will sanitize my equipment. However, it causes me problems when I get a hydro sample because the foam makes the hydrometer tough to read.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #34
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Use a spray bottle. Mix a gallon of distilled water with 1/5 oz starsan and use it to fill a spray bottle. All you need to do is get the surface wet to sanitize. The foam is not a bad thing.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #35
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincybrewer View Post
I added water and then added starsan for the first time friday and there was no foam at all so I was worried I didn't have the correct ratio.
Don't be worried if there's no foam. Just fill the vessel then add the StarSan. I usually stir it up a little with the spoon that I am sanitizing to make sure it all mixes properly.

BTW, why are you sanitizing for the hydrometer? Are you dumping the sample back into the beer? I just taste a reading and dump it so I never need to sanitize the hydrometer or its tube.

Rev.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:08 PM   #36
cincybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Don't be worried if there's no foam. Just fill the vessel then add the StarSan. I usually stir it up a little with the spoon that I am sanitizing to make sure it all mixes properly.

BTW, why are you sanitizing for the hydrometer? Are you dumping the sample back into the beer? I just taste a reading and dump it so I never need to sanitize the hydrometer or its tube.

Rev.
I take my hydro reading from my beer thief, so I sanitize that. I just stick the hydrometer in the thief, then draw a sample until the hydrometer floats. So the thief is what causes the foam. I used to take a sample and then put it in a test tube, but the tubes kept leaking from the base, so I switched to just taking my reading straight out of the thief.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:29 AM   #37
Wyrmwood
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
I just taste a reading and dump
Drink it!
"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Ben Franklin

Old 04-26-2011, 12:48 PM   #38
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrmwood View Post
Drink it!
I have many times but often don't anymore since pre-fermented beer takes like crap with all the sugars still present. I now only really taste when it's something new I'm doing. I do always drink the sample before bottling.

Rev.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:55 PM   #39
cincybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Yea, I drink at least some of mine but I always end up pulling up so much trub or yeast that it generally isn't worth it. With my thief, it's hard to get a sufficient sample without pulling up a little trub.

Quick Reply