Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Full boils in extract brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #21
o4_srt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrmwood
star san is what I'm using now. When it runs out I plan on trying the iodophor.

EDIT: To my tongue, star san tastes like chlorine and lemons.
Do you have chlorinated water? I've never rinsed star San and have never noticed any kind if residual taste

Conditioning: Muddy Paw Nut Brown Ale, Jump The Fence Independence Cream Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2011, 08:38 PM   #22
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrmwood View Post
star san is what I'm using now. When it runs out I plan on trying the iodophor.

EDIT: To my tongue, star san tastes like chlorine and lemons.
I seriously doubt it's the StarSan. Did you use it in the correct amount - 1oz for 5 gallons of water? I just Googled StarSan taste and found a few threads in which people suspected StarSan and later found it wasn't the StarSan but something else. One guy found it was Oxyclean film, guess from not rinsing well or something, and another found it was their water.

I dunno. All I can say is I don't have any taste like that at all, and there technically shouldn't be due to the massive liquid to remaining StarSan ratio. It would have to be extremely pungent to taste the left over StarSan film/bubbles being mixed with 5 gallons of wort. It's also supposed to be consumed by the yeast. Why not put a little StarSan in some water (at the proper dilution ratio and give it a taste without swallowing? That can help to tell you if that is indeed what you are tasting.

Rev.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:55 PM   #23
Wyrmwood
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
I seriously doubt it's the StarSan. Did you use it in the correct amount - 1oz for 5 gallons of water? I just Googled StarSan taste and found a few threads in which people suspected StarSan and later found it wasn't the StarSan but something else. One guy found it was Oxyclean film, guess from not rinsing well or something, and another found it was their water.

I dunno. All I can say is I don't have any taste like that at all, and there technically shouldn't be due to the massive liquid to remaining StarSan ratio. It would have to be extremely pungent to taste the left over StarSan film/bubbles being mixed with 5 gallons of wort. It's also supposed to be consumed by the yeast. Why not put a little StarSan in some water (at the proper dilution ratio and give it a taste without swallowing? That can help to tell you if that is indeed what you are tasting.

Rev.
I pulled some into my mouth rinsing a hose before my first batch using star san and nearly gagged. That's what initiated the taste tests.

I've been using star san on the last 5 batches. There's nothing but tap water and star san touching my gear and I use 5ml per gallon, (which is slightly less than 1 oz/ 5gal). I also tested tap water in a sanitized and un-rinsed bottle; which is why I started rinsing. It wasn't nearly as pronounced, but it lingered. Maybe I have a particularly potent bottle, or different taste buds I think it tastes like lemons and chlorine
"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Ben Franklin

Old 04-22-2011, 01:01 PM   #24
Jazman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, obviously you need to do whatever you're comfortable with. But something to consider/remember, when you use Starsan to sanitize, it is VERY different than drinking a Starsan mixture. Starsan is an acid and that's why it does what it does (and has the flavors you mention). When you talk about sucking it that is drinking the mixture. After you pour it off, there is very little Starsan actually left in your vessels. Any unpleasant residue, if any, will be so greatly diluted that there won't be any of those flavors left in your beer.

Jaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrmwood View Post
I pulled some into my mouth rinsing a hose before my first batch using star san and nearly gagged. That's what initiated the taste tests.

I've been using star san on the last 5 batches. There's nothing but tap water and star san touching my gear and I use 5ml per gallon, (which is slightly less than 1 oz/ 5gal). I also tested tap water in a sanitized and un-rinsed bottle; which is why I started rinsing. It wasn't nearly as pronounced, but it lingered. Maybe I have a particularly potent bottle, or different taste buds I think it tastes like lemons and chlorine

Old 04-23-2011, 07:14 AM   #25
GatorDad
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 20

What about all the (star san) foam? I've rinsed the carboy a few times because of all the freaking foam...

Old 04-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #26
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDad View Post
What about all the (star san) foam? I've rinsed the carboy a few times because of all the freaking foam...
I barely ever get foam in my primary because I fill the water first and add the StarSan after. If you put the StarSan in first and fill on top of it the agitation will cause it to foam up way more. I do get lots of foam however on my strainer and another item or two since I move the sanitizing water from my primary to a bucket and when doing that the agitation creates a lot of foam in my sanitizing bucket. And I just leave the foam on, never been a problem.

Rev.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:58 PM   #27
GatorDad
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

OK. I know the directions say it's OK, and it seems everyone else around here agrees with that, but, it's hard to accept. I guess I'll just close my eyes and not rinse... :|

cheers & beers,
Chris

Monitor/control with Linux
You know your IPA - do you know your PSA?

Old 04-23-2011, 04:43 PM   #28
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Here are a few tips for extract brewing and the Homebrewtalk thread on it.

My process
1)Steep in 1-3 quarts of water per pound of grains. I steep in 2 quarts per pound and no longer use a bag.
2)When there are 20 minutes left in the steep I heat up 1 gallon of water in one pot and 1 1/2 gallons in the boil pot.
3)When the grains are done steeping I pour them through a SS strainer into the boil pot and then rinse them with the gallon of water in the other pot.
4)Pour gallons of water into the second pot and start boiling. This will be my top off water. It will be done and cooled before the boil is done.

I know a lot of stuff going on the stove going at once. We also usually bottle the same day so we have the priming solution on the stove also. Heating up water in the boil pot while steeping saves time. The strainer didn't really save money but not having to remember grain bags when buying ingredients leaves one less thing to remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smagee View Post
I can think of a number of reasons:
1) It's easier to get extract to dissolve with more liquid.
2) It makes hop utilization calculations simpler.
3) No requirement to sanitize topoff liquid.
4) Beersmith always seems to assume it's a full-boil, so when I forget to tell it otherwise, my process gets screwed .
Beersmith has custom equipment setups. I have 2 different ones right now, stovetop and turkey fryer.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:34 PM   #29
adamlikesbeer
Recipes 

I think there's a thread somewhere here titled "Don't fear the foam" and it refers to the fact that starsan foam actually acts as a yeast nutrient, so it's a plus in the carboy.

I'm not sure about other sanitizers.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:30 PM   #30
GatorDad
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Hmm. Yea. Foam. I just sanitized a 6gal carboy, mixed the starsan into water first (no foam), sloshed it around inside the carboy and now I have ~3gallons of foam. I'm rinsing it out.

cheers & beers,
Chris

Monitor/control with Linux
You know your IPA - do you know your PSA?

Quick Reply