Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Full boils in extract brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #11
jimlin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default so why sanitize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrmwood View Post
Brewtarget has custom equipment setups or you can use one of the two default extract setups, one for full boil (5 gal) and one for partial boil (2.5 gal).

I've never sanitized top up water. In fact, I rinse everything I sanitize because I don't like the taste of the sanitizer or the deposits it leaves on my bottles. Then again, we have pretty decent tap water here.
If you're rinsing after sanitizing, aren't you just throwing $$ away that you spent on the sanitizer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #12
jimlin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malticulous View Post
You may not want to steep grain in the full boil volume. pH could be a problem.

You should always run anything you make trough a calculator. It will help you understand and gauge your system. You'll be able to put numbers to a resulting brews, IBU snd SRM. After some practice you will be able to make adjustments prior to brewing that make beer more the way you want it.
I just did my first full boil, but it was all extract, no steeping (hefe). From what I've read, you don't want to steep in full volume. So I guess my question is, do you steep in a smaller amount of water in the boil pot, and then just add the remainder of your water to that, then bring it all up to the boil? Any disadvantages to steeping at one temp, then drastically dropping the temp by adding gallons of water, only to raise the temp again to get the full boil going?

Old 04-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #13
diS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I am preparing to make 5 gal full boil, and I am wondering about 2 things:

1. What volume do you suggest for steeping?
2. Also, after steeping is done (30 min), should I add cold or hot water to boil to end up with 5 gallons?

Old 04-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #14
jimlin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diS View Post
I am preparing to make 5 gal full boil, and I am wondering about 2 things:

1. What volume do you suggest for steeping?
2. Also, after steeping is done (30 min), should I add cold or hot water to boil to end up with 5 gallons?
Not an answer, but more to consider.

Going full boil (for 60 minutes?) you are going to lose perhaps a gallon to the boil. I started mine with 6.5 gallons, lost about a gallon during the boil, and then left behind roughly a 1/2 gallon in the pot with any break material and hops residue. I use BeerAlchemy (on my mac) which allows me to enter all that data up front (so you need to have an estimate as to how much you boil off) so as to get accurate numbers for hop utilization, projected gravity/ABV, etc). If you start with 5 gallons, and want 5 gallons in your bucket, you'll end up having to add water to the fermenter.

As for how much water to steep, I THINK people suggest something like 3 qt per pound of steeping grains.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #15
diS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I assume that I"ll end with ~4 gallons, which is fine because I am limited with carboy volume (5 gallons).

For 1/2 lb of steeping grain that would be 1.5 qt of water, isn't that little low..?
Should added water it be cold or warm? Or that is not that relevant as I think it is?

Old 04-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #16
smagee
Most impressive "member"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

If you're just steeping grains (i.e., not doing a mash of any sort), the amount of water is relatively flexible. I usually just go with enough to cover the grains a fair bit; in your case, maybe a gallon or so, although you could get away with less if you like.

By added water, do you mean the steeping liquid, or water added after the boil (e.g., topoff liquid)? If the former, you want to steep hot--somewhere between 150F and 170F is ideal; for the latter, whatever will get your temperature to pitching range .

EDIT: Just read your original question. For water added to bring it up to the boil volume, hotter will be better simply because you're going to need to get it boiling. I usually steep in a small pot (~1 gallon stock pot, I think) while bringing the remaining liquid to a boil in my brew pot. That way, once the steep is done, I can rinse the grains in the brew kettle and not have to spend much time bringing it all back up to boiling temperature.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:05 PM   #17
Wyrmwood
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlin View Post
If you're rinsing after sanitizing, aren't you just throwing $$ away that you spent on the sanitizer?
I don't know about "throwing away", but adding risk, you bet. I'm gambling that the tap water doesn't add any harmful creatures. However, the sanitizer taste is undesirable to me, and that is guaranteed if I don't rinse.
"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Ben Franklin

Old 04-21-2011, 08:09 PM   #18
jimlin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I don't know about "throwing away", but adding risk, you bet. I'm gambling that the tap water doesn't add any harmful creatures. However, the sanitizer taste is undesirable to me, and that is guaranteed if I don't rinse.
I've only used the white powder no rinse stuff. Have a small bottle of starsan but have yet to try it. I haven't noticed a taste with the stuff I used, yet... curious about the starsan though

Old 04-21-2011, 08:15 PM   #19
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 191

Quote:
However, the sanitizer taste is undesirable to me, and that is guaranteed if I don't rinse.
What sanitizer are you using? I'm using StarSan and don't rinse and have never tasted any unusual flavors.

Rev.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:16 PM   #20
Wyrmwood
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 56

star san is what I'm using now. When it runs out I plan on trying the iodophor.

EDIT: To my tongue, star san tastes like chlorine and lemons.

"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Ben Franklin

Quick Reply