Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Full Boil vs Partial

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
pollykraker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Full Boil vs Partial

Going to brew my first batch with simple extract kit. Everything I have seen is a lot of kits call for partial boil...with top off water in fermenter.
N00b.... Does partial vs full boil on extract kit change anything ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
BassBeer
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Absolutely, a full boil will affect hop utilization and overall make a better beer, ime. Its been discussed extensively on the forum, so I'd recommend doing a search for all the details.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
Reuben1012
Recipes 

HI, I have made several really good beers using the partial boil and top up method. The hop schedule in the recipe is adjusted for the smaller boil. Also the time it will save you when boiling and cooling is nice. In the summer here its to hot to use my all grain equipment outside, so I do partial boils on my stove. Also, if this is your first brew day it will be nice to start simple. Have fun....

Old 10-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

I also do partial boils on most of my beers when i'm using extract as a my base malt. As I don't use any sort of a chiller on my wort, a partial boiled brew with a few gallons of topoff water is just what my beer needs in it's final cooling stages. When I do my cool down, I just set my entire 5 gallon brew pot in an ice bath in the kitchen sink. It'll chill in there for about fifteen minutes until the reading on my thermometer gets below 100 deg. f., and then I pour the wort into my brew bucket and top it off with 2-3 gallons of pre-boiled (then chilled in the fridge) tap water. This usually gets my beer to pitching temperatures pretty quickly for kitchen sink operation.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
pollykraker
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben1012
HI, I have made several really good beers using the partial boil and top up method. The hop schedule in the recipe is adjusted for the smaller boil. Also the time it will save you when boiling and cooling is nice. In the summer here its to hot to use my all grain equipment outside, so I do partial boils on my stove. Also, if this is your first brew day it will be nice to start simple. Have fun....
Thanks! Oct 21 will be starting ny first batch

Old 10-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
pollykraker
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBeer
Absolutely, a full boil will affect hop utilization and overall make a better beer, ime. Its been discussed extensively on the forum, so I'd recommend doing a search for all the details.
Using smart phone at work.. too lazy to search

Old 10-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
pollykraker
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiptasia
I also do partial boils on most of my beers when i'm using extract as a my base malt. As I don't use any sort of a chiller on my wort, a partial boiled brew with a few gallons of topoff water is just what my beer needs in it's final cooling stages. When I do my cool down, I just set my entire 5 gallon brew pot in an ice bath in the kitchen sink. It'll chill in there for about fifteen minutes until the reading on my thermometer gets below 100 deg. f., and then I pour the wort into my brew bucket and top it off with 2-3 gallons of pre-boiled (then chilled in the fridge) tap water. This usually gets my beer to pitching temperatures pretty quickly for kitchen sink operation.
Thanks , this sounds good

Old 10-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4341 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollykraker View Post
Using smart phone at work.. too lazy to search
You don't have to search- there are lots of threads in the beginners forum that show up. It's actually easier to read them then to post a new thread. Here's one from a couple of hours ago: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/full-boil-extract-instead-adding-top-off-water-359154/#post4475356

That talks about full boil vs partial boil. Also, keep in mind that by adding the bulk of the extract at the end of the boil instead of at the beginning can really help with the caramelization type of reactions and make the beer taste better.

Quick Reply