Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Full Boil Brewers Best English Brown Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2010, 10:16 PM   #21
Diesel48
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ended up doing a partial for my first kit, plan on doing the full boil for my next batch in 2 weeks. Going to try the phat tyre ale from norther brewers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 11:04 PM   #22
FortSanders
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel48 View Post
Ended up doing a partial for my first kit, plan on doing the full boil for my next batch in 2 weeks. Going to try the phat tyre ale from norther brewers.
How did it end up if you don't mind me asking...just bought mine today...gonna do my first brewing thursday

Old 05-11-2010, 03:15 AM   #23
tcory77
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

i just picked up a brewers best english pale ale kit and had the same question as this thread. I prefer to do full boils, but this kit is set up for a 2.5 gallon boil. What the heck do i need to do with my hop additions when I start with 6 gallons to boil? where do I start to figure this out?

Old 11-19-2011, 05:05 AM   #24
llamabox
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I just got a kit and all my hops are labeled as Alpha Acid 6.0% Williamette.
The brewing software I used, free online, only shows the 4.8%AAU that was mentioned earlier in this thread and does come out as 22IBU.

So I am wondering if the 6.0% is going to crank it up a lot and if so how should it be adjusted.

Also the ingredient kit has different hop additions that you guys posted earlier.

Quote:
INGREDIENTS :
3.3 lbs. Plain Amber Malt Extract
2 lbs. Plain Amber Dry Malt Extract
8 oz. Crushed Crystal Malt 60L
1 oz. Willamette Hops (Bittering)
1/2 oz. Willamette Hops (Finishing)
5 oz. Priming Sugar
1 each Beer Yeast
My package contains:
1oz bittering at 60min
1oz flavoring at 15min
.25oz at 5min

Old 11-19-2011, 05:58 AM   #25
Gunrunner
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would do the calculation with your beer software. That way you can stay within the beer style and if you like it you can make the same beer if your hops AA% is different the next time. I have also been reading that all hops this year are higher than average AA%.

The Gunrunner
If you are going to be stupid then you better be tough.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #26
mgr_stl
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'll be brewing a batch of the Brewer's Best English Brown Ale tomorrow. This is my third batch, but my first using one of the Home Depot paint strainer bags for steeping the grains. I've heard the less water (within reason) the better for steeping. Last time I steeped in 1.5 gallons and it was a bit hard to maintain the temp. Would you guys recommend steeping in 2.5 (that's what you're supposed to do according to the recipe for all of the boil, then add another 2.5 post-boil).

Also, do I need to do anything (other than soaking in Star San) to prepare the bag for the steeping process?

Since I was planning on doing a full boil, I think I'll scale back the bittering hops a bit (maybe do 0.75 oz instead of 1 oz of the Brewer's Gold).

Also, I'd like to add most of the extract toward the end of the boil. Since this kit uses both dry and liquid, which one should I put in at the beginning, and which should I hold off on until the end? It calls for 3.3 lbs Amber LME and 2 lbs Amber DME.

How's all this sound? Any other changes you'd recommend for those who have brewed this kit or just have much more knowledge about brewing than me?

Thanks!

Quick Reply