The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Fruit flavored extract beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2005, 08:51 PM   #21
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I'm going to go with the soak in vodka method of sanitizing the blueberries for my blueberry wheat beer. Soak for a day, toss into fermenter.

-walker

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2005, 09:59 PM   #22
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I personally think you should add fruit (Puree, Extract, Fresh) to the secondary not the bottle bucket. Gives it time to settle out here as opposed to the bottle. Much like we dry hop in secondary...

I've stated it before in other threads but a DME wheat beer with Apricot extract in secondary is a strong favorite of the female group at my house. I appreciate it as well and don't like fruit beers. I get better reviews than Pyramid at my house as it's not as dominating of an apricot taste. I plan on doing an AG version of it next time around... Simple recipe as well:

6# Wheat Malt Extract
1oz Hallertau (60m boil)
4oz apricot flavoring (add to secondary, rack onto it.)
WL American Hefe Yeast.

Old 11-22-2005, 02:52 PM   #23
Thor

Recipes 

Default What about adding oranges?

I want to clone New Belgiums's Summer Wheat, whose label says that it includes oranges and coriander. I haven't seen any mention of orange or other citrus. Do the same guidelines apply? That is, would I add, say, a few cups of chopped orange (in a mesh bag) to the wort while it steeps, or is there a better way? Any thoughts on how much is appropriate for a 5 gallon extract batch?

Appreciate the guidance!

Enjoy!

-------------
On-deck: an ESB; a Sierra Nevada Porter clone; an Irish Ale
Primary: cleaning
Secondary 1: Summer Wheat
Secondary 2: American Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Lonely
Bottled/Drinking: Heineken clone w/Calif. Ale yeast; Fat Tire clone

Old 11-22-2005, 02:59 PM   #24
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor
I want to clone New Belgiums's Summer Wheat, whose label says that it includes oranges and coriander. I haven't seen any mention of orange or other citrus. Do the same guidelines apply? That is, would I add, say, a few cups of chopped orange (in a mesh bag) to the wort while it steeps, or is there a better way? Any thoughts on how much is appropriate for a 5 gallon extract batch?

Appreciate the guidance!
check the other two threads you posted in about the Belgian wheat beer.

-walker

Old 11-22-2005, 03:23 PM   #25
JOHN51277

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts

I am currently doing a raspberry wheat that came with a 4 oz bottle of extract. I am 3 days into the primary ferment. I will just pour this extract into the bottling bucket with the priming sugar and stir it gently then bottle it up and forget about it for about 2 months and then try it. hope its yummy

On Deck: Centennial Blonde, Midnight IIPA
Primary: SMaSH Citra/2 Row, KBS Clone
Secondary: ???
Kegged:
Bottled: Gulf Oil Spill Stout, Breakfast Stout, Amarillo SMaSH, Orange Wit, RIPA Oak/Bourbon Aged, Barleywine, Apfelwein,

Old 11-22-2005, 05:51 PM   #26
barleypopmaker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have not used the extracts yet but plan to sometime in a wheat, and have heard a lot about them and asked some questions. Most people say to use only half the bottle of the fruit extract(which is different from artificial fruit flavorings which you can also find and use, but the taste is to much like candy and not like real fruit but some people like it). It should be added at bottling because it does not contain any fermentable and it could also allow you to only flavor half or less of your batch if you wish. Just scale down your addition to how much of your batch to flavor.

Real fruit, purees, or juices should be added to the secondary because they do contain fermentable sugars and if you add them to the bottling bucket you will end up with bottle bombs, besides if you add the purees or real fruit to the bottling bucket you will not give the beer enough time to pick up the flavor of the fruit. I have had luck using Juice, but you have to make sure it is 100% pure with no additives or added sugars. I recommend Knudsen Juices. The ingredients list on the back of the bottle of the black cherry juice I use is: 100% black Cherry Juice.

That is it, not even any sulfites. Only use 1-2 quarts per batch depending on taste for the juice. Knudsen also has 100% blueberry, 100% pomegranate, among others. The advantage of using this is that you don't need to buy 5lbs of fruit to add to the fermentor, it saves a little money. But you still have to flavor the whole batch.

Jason Johnson -
www.barleypopmaker.info

Beers currently on tap from Myfa King Ales and Lagers: Sessionable Wheaton American Ale (A.K.A White IPA/Session IPA), Spiced Winter Ale, Barleywine Style Lager
In Primary: American Pale Ale

Last edited by barleypopmaker; 11-22-2005 at 05:54 PM.

Old 11-22-2005, 11:11 PM   #27
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think the fruit extracts taste like soap even after 6 months...but that's me.

Old 11-22-2005, 11:20 PM   #28
ScottT

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
I think the fruit extracts taste like soap even after 6 months...but that's me.

You must have had your mouth washed out a lot as a child. Try rinsing with hot water. Those soap residues can last a long time if not properly rinsed.

Scott

Primary: Empty

Secondary #2: Empty

Bottle Conditioning: Oatmeal Stout

Drinking from Keg: Ordinary Bitter, Kolsch

Drinking bottled: Brown Autumn Wee Heavy
Hefe Weizen
Peaches and Cream Weizen

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption... Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck.

Next up: Hefe Weizen

Old 11-23-2005, 04:54 AM   #29
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottT
You must have had your mouth washed out a lot as a child. Try rinsing with hot water. Those soap residues can last a long time if not properly rinsed.
Bingo! You must have done a background check on me and read my bio.

Damn Gestapo Penguins!! Something about those women from the Church of Perpetual Motion....

Old 11-23-2005, 06:26 AM   #30
croba50
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpoc454
I am thinking about experimenting with making an extract fruit flavored beer and have a c few questions.

Anyone make a fruit flavored beer from extract?

Is it true, you dont have to add raw fruit, you can buy the fruit extract at HBs now?

Is there certain fruit which lends to better tastes compared to others?

Does anyone have any suggestions for a fruit ale? Im looking for something not to strong tasting to start with, just something simple.

Is there a specific name for beer with a fruit twist to it?
thanks
i done a cherry wheat man was that good done once havent done again that gets me thinking .......i never added any raw fruit and the extract was not over powering . had a bit of a after taste first month of bottling let stand for 2 months and its good beer..... i never thought fruit flavored beer would be good ///// but i will say this i would make another batch in a heart beat.....
vary good taste.

Quick Reply