Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Fresh/Wet hop IPA recipe, comments please

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
sunvalleylaw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default Fresh/Wet hop IPA recipe, comments please

Hi all: going to brew up this weekend using a bunch of fresh hops off the vine that I have. I really have no idea what variety this is, but they have a nice hoppy smell to them. To hedge my bet, I am going to use an ounce of Cascade pellets for bittering, and another ounce for flavor, and hop over the top with a bunch of fresh stuff off the vine, then dry hop later in the car boy with some of these hops I already picked and dried.

I plan to use the fresh hops as say 1lb @bittering hop, 1 lb flavoring, 1lb @5, 1lb @dry hop in the car boy.

My extract recipe is:
9lbs Light DME
1lb. Crystal 20L

1 oz. Cascade pellet bittering
1lb. fresh hops at same time
1 oz. Cascade flavoring.
1lb. fresh flavoring.
1lb. fresh aroma
1lb. dry hop.

Wyeast American Ale yeast
1 pack champagne yeast to make sure fermentation finishes off (a habit I got into way back in the 90s from my first homebrew shop).
Irish moss.

Thoughts? Hints please!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I wouldn't use the fresh hops for bittering. Most flavor/aroma will boil off. You also have very little idea how much bittering they will add.

You don't need the champagne yeast. You will need a starter for the liquid yeast though.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
sunvalleylaw
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Okay thanks The original IPA recipe I was following called for 8 pounds of DME but I have an extra pound so I was just going to throw it in. Do you think I should just use 8 pounds? Also if I do not use any fresh chops for buttering should I bump up the amount of pellets I am using?

Old 09-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
sunvalleylaw
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
Okay thanks The original IPAA recipe I was following called for 8 pounds of DME but I have an extra pound so I was just going to throw it in. Do you think I should just use 8 pounds? Also if I do not use any fresh chops for petering should I bump up the amount of pellets I am using two better ?
I fixed the above post now. I meant bitteriing not petering. Siri screwed up the first post.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
Sir-Hops-A-Lot
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Don't use the wet hops.
You have a lot of good ingredients there to waste.
I think that the next step for you would be to get the hops dehydrated. Ask around and see if anyone you know has a food dehydrator. Then when it's dehydrated you can weigh it and use it in modest amounts in more conservative experiments.

"Good beer, pretty girl, they are gifts of Czech country"
- Czech proverb

Old 09-12-2013, 02:22 AM   #6
Sir-Hops-A-Lot
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Are you in need of an extract IPA recipe?
I think that you'd be better off using your ingredients on something that isn't so very very risky. It sucks to have 5 G of undrinkable beer.
I think that homebrewing is a great place for creativity but....
As the actor Christopher Walken has said, "To improvise you have to know what you are doing."

"Good beer, pretty girl, they are gifts of Czech country"
- Czech proverb

Old 09-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
sunvalleylaw
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the concern, but to me, experimentation is the joy of homebrewing. I am going to go for it. The hops I have harvested and dried smell lovely in their zip loc when I open the bag, and I have the pellets to use for the earlier hops, so I will be relying on the wet hops more for aroma, etc. I think it will be good. If anyone has any positive thoughts or tips for success, let me know.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Wet hop beers are awesome. Go for it.

Generally you use a ratio of 5:1 for wet hops vs dry hops (meaning if you'd normally use 1oz dry, you'd need 5oz wet). But since you've already picked them and they're drying on the screen, they'll be significantly more dry. So 2:1 or 3:1 may be better. Doesn't really matter though when using them late in the boil.

I would do your bittering with pellets as planned, then start adding your wet hops during the last 10-15 mins of boil. Add them by the handful continuously; it's a TON of hop material...by the handful has worked better for me than discrete increments. Keep adding them during chilling too. A lot of guys do a "hop stand" - chill to 170/160ish, add more hops, then let it steep at that temp for 30 mins or so, then continue chilling. It's a good technique.

And I would definitely save a few oz for dry hopping. Rub the fresh hops between your hands and take a big whiff - that's what the beer will taste like if you add wet/fresh hops post-fermentation. All that fresh/grassy/greenness comes through. I love it, but a lot of people don't. Up to you. If you plan on going that route, get the hops in the freezer until you're ready to add. And, they're dried hops, I don't think I'd use a full pound in the dry hop. Maybe 4-8oz.

Happy brewing!!

Old 09-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
sunvalleylaw
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The ones I already dried I plan to dry hop with. I have about 3 gallon size ziploc bags full. They smell awesome! Again, I do not know exactly where the rhyzomes that I planted originated from, or the variety, but they did come from Oregon.

I am storing these in the freezer until time for use.

I plan on picking the fresh/wet stuff just before brewing. Any left over after the batch, I plan on drying for later use. Though I did not do comparative weighing, they dried out very nicely in our high desert environment with low humidity, using an oscillating fan pointed at the screen for 3 days, stirring the hops around each day. Thanks for the advice. That helps! And I do like the flavor/aroma of these when I crush and roll them, and have liked other wet hopped beers, so I am hopeful this will come out to something that I like quite well!

Old 09-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Awesome. Your process sounds great. Let us know how it goes!

Quick Reply