Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Fresh ingredients vs mail order

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2009, 01:01 PM   #1
Slipgate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Fresh ingredients vs mail order

I needed to make a batch of IPA and did not have time to order a kit so I took my recipe to the local beer hobby store and got all the ingredients there. I've been making this kit for 2 years with no modifications. They crushed the grains on the spot and all of the hops came from the refrigerator.

I made the batch as usual but when I was drinking it I kept commenting that it was the best ever. As clear as any store bought beer, PERFECT color and outstanding flavor.

It is only after I made this same recipe again the next time from a kit and just started drinking it last week that I realized what a huge difference the previous "fresh" batch had been. I had really wanted to bottle some and enter it in a contest. The beer was exactly perfect and there was absolutely nothing that I wanted to change with it. I had achieved perfection!

The locally aquired ingredients were about $10 more than the kit, but what a no brainer, I will now buy everything from my local store!

Has anyone else experience this??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1029 Times on 685 Posts
Likes Given: 28

What makes you think the ingredients at your LHBS are any fresher than mail order places? I think it would exactly the opposite. Places like AHS, Northernbrewer, B3, Midwest, Williams etc more inventory at 10x the rate of a local store. Your guy may have pulled hops out of the fridge but they were probably in there for 3 months.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 03-17-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2781 Times on 2729 Posts
Likes Given: 121

If you're making better beer then congrats on having a nice HBS, but like Bobby_M said, the big online guys have such a high turn around rate that their ingredients are fresh.
And as far as hops go, they're a plant, They're picked once a year and stored and sold. You're HBS is selling the same hops the online guys are selling.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 03-17-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2756 Times on 1651 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

It really depends on your shop, and I guess your geographic region, there's a huge amount of homebrewers in Michigan, and at least 10 places in metro detroit that carries stuff..Heck I've got three places within 5 miles of me as it is...if it is a high volume shop with high turnover of ingredients, then you are going to get the freshest ingredients. If it a low volume store, the stuff is going to sit for awhile. Especially kits. I'm lucky in the Detroit area we have a couple stores that are high traffic/high volume (like Cap N Corks)

It also depends on how they store stuff as well, some places don't keep their yeast and hops cold either.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #5
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

+1 REV. No offense to any of the online buyers here, but there is no way in hell I will ever trust any of you to shipp me your freshest grains. My local guy supplies only the highest end grains has a great storage facility/system, great hop selection at good prices, super fresh everything and I look him in the eye every time I buy. I most definitely count him as a major source for the enduring quality of my beer.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
Boondoggie
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
+1 REV. No offense to any of the online buyers here, but there is no way in hell I will ever trust any of you to shipp me your freshest grains. My local guy supplies only the highest end grains has a great storage facility/system, great hop selection at good prices, super fresh everything and I look him in the eye every time I buy. I most definitely count him as a major source for the enduring quality of my beer.
Well, the LHBS can be the most honest stand up guy in the world, but if he doesn't have high product turnover...

Heck the OLDEST stock in a high traffic online store may be newer than the freshest stuff at a really knowledgeable LHBS that doesn't see a lot of volume.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:15 PM   #7
Marko73
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 to Revvy. It really is a case by case basis with your LHBS. I have 2 or 3 close by to me and one has a great reputation and a ton of turnover while some of the other ones have dust sitting on their ingredient kits and brown hops in the freezer. I think you are pretty lucky though. A lot of folks in this group don't have access to a good LHBS and have to solely rely on the mail order folks, which may not be bad, but they just don't ahve the option.

"It is sheer folly to be taken by the hand and led down the path of better brewing by someone who says that they know it all. No, it is your experience that counts most. It is your experience that will always lead you to more questions."

~Charlie Papazian

Old 03-17-2009, 03:36 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

If you like the results, stick with it. I've never had a problem with an online kit. I buy local for my own recipes. As it's a 90 minute drive each way to a good shop, I tend to buy for 2-3 batches at once.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-17-2009, 03:40 PM   #9
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
If you like the results, stick with it. I've never had a problem with an online kit. I buy local for my own recipes. As it's a 90 minute drive each way to a good shop, I tend to buy for 2-3 batches at once.
This is the crux. I have 5 shops within 30 minutes of my house. 2 of them are incredibly good with high turnover, knowledgeable staff, and a personal touch within 20 minutes. Yes we in Wisconsin are lucky brewers.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:42 PM   #10
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 27 Posts

I don't have an LHBS. My closest one is 6 hours away, and they focus on wine. I like to think I get pretty fresh ingredients from Midwest and AHS, because my beer comes out pretty tasty. Maybe it's just ignorance on my part though, because I don't have an LHBS next door like you guys do.

/jealous

Quick Reply