Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Fixing to brew my first beer, got a question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2008, 10:41 PM   #11
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 113 Posts

i would not carbonate with honey and i would not expect much flavor with honey, unless you add it straight to the fermenter. also, expect a longer time for it to ferment out.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2008, 12:37 AM   #12
MediaMikes
Recipes 

I have officially started my first brew at 7:00PM tonight. I decideed to just stick to the basics for the first few brews until I can get the process down.

I have my grains steeping right now, they have been at 155 degrees since 7:15, I figure I will steep them until 7:45 over fire at a steady 155 and then turn the fire out and steep them for 10 more minutes. Then the fun begins.......

Old 02-22-2008, 12:41 AM   #13
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 503 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Watch for boilover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Turn off heat when adding extract....remove from element or let element cool if electric!!!

Old 02-22-2008, 01:04 AM   #14
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I'm going to take the opposite tact, and suggest that since it is your first brewing session, to stick to whatever recipe or kit you're brewing and not deviate from the recipe, but instead concentrate on learning your brewing process...

I know, I'm a party pooper....

If you want to brew a beer with honey, then find a recipe that has honey already in the ingredient list, and has been already tailored to accommodate it, in terms of grains and hops... I know the tendency is to want to jump in and tinker...but if you don't have your process down, then if it doesn't come out the way you want, then you can't really dissect the problem...

If you brew a kit...or a straight recipe, and it doesn't come out, then you can go back and figure out what went wrong in your process....Was it sanitization? Did I miss read my hydrometer? Did I steep in too high temp water?

If you brew from a kit...or recipe that has been proven, and set in stone and it doesn't come out then you have a foundation to look back on...If you've winged a recipe on your own, by adding ingredients not called for, then you've added another couple of variables to this list...

SInce you're started out, take a look at this thread http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthre...ght=Stone+cold

It has some of the best quick and dirty advice you can find anywhere...

Also take a look at this one too, it was another beginner wanting to experiment on his first brew...and see the advice that was given. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=55526

You have plenty of time to experiment, after you get the various parts of your process down.

Anyway, I know that this isn't what you want to hear...and I'm not trying to rain on your parade, I just want you to become the best brewer you can be...

Welcome to your new obsession!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-22-2008, 02:35 AM   #15
MediaMikes
Recipes 

Okay, it is in the fermenter and I am happily waiting for the fermenation to start. Everying went without a hitch. I guess is helps when you have 6 gallon brew pot. I don't really understand the OG thing yet, I may not have put enough in the test tube but it read like 1.046. That is probably way off, like I said I have no clue what I am doing and just followed the instructions that came with the kit.

Hopefully it will be drinkable at least.

Oh yeah, I filled the airlock with some of the sterilized water solution and then without thinking (after I put in the yeast) I shock the crap out of it and lost some the sterilized water. I don't know if it went in the beer or stopped at the botton of the airlock tube, but will it hurt the beer if it did get to it?

I also stirred the crap out of it before I pitched it, I just wanted to add a little extra something after it was pitched. Hope I didn't mess it up.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:50 AM   #16
MediaMikes
Recipes 

Also, I got my temp down from 220 to 78 in about 15 minutes by moving the pot back and forth between sinks with fresh cold water. I figured I would probably still be trying to get it cool enough to pitch.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:28 AM   #17
Ooompa Loompa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If some of the water from the airlock got into the beer that's fine. Because it was sterilized it won't hurt a thing. It's good that you stirred it up a bunch, that will help aerate it, and yeast love oxygen!!!

Without knowing the recipe I can't say for sure if an OG of 1.046 is right, but it does sound like it's in the correct general area for a basic kit.

It sounds like your off to a great start........now comes the hard part.....waiting But soon enough you will be drinking up homebrew along with the rest of us!!!

Old 02-22-2008, 03:37 AM   #18
MediaMikes
Recipes 

I checked the sheet that came with the kit and sure enough they gave the numbers concerning what was expected for the OG and FG and the OG was supposed to be between 1.040 and 1.046. I did add a little bit more spring water though, thinking that the boil and then steeping would steam off quite a bit. I hope that didn't mess anything up. I figure it might throw the FG off some, but I feel I had a successfull first half.

And you're right, the hard does start now, the waiting....

Old 02-22-2008, 04:26 AM   #19
Jaeger48
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Most excellent- congratulations on popping your homebrew cherry. I enjoyed one of my creations tonight after working out and my god... it's good to be a homebrewer.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:38 AM   #20
MediaMikes
Recipes 

I am soooooo pumped right now. I even got online and ordered another git (Rasberry Wheat) and two more primary bucket fermenters. I really want to brew an extract that resembles a Guiness. Any ideas anyone?

Quick Reply