Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > first wheat beer brewed..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2006, 11:50 PM   #11
BeerLuvnGrl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

ok now a question about the fruit...if i plan on going with the puree.. do i just put it in the bottom and rack on top? do i have to mix it up or will it just naturally mix?

i was told if i used frozen raspberries i would have to stir it for about a week to make sure it mixed well... just wanna make sure the flavoring goes throughout the whole batch.

Bottled: Raspberry Overload (wheat)
Bottled: Cheesefood's Caramel Cream Ale
Bottled: Holiday Cheer (belgian wheat)

Fermentor: Traditional Mead
Fermentor (2): Common Apple Cider
Secondary: Holiday Cider
Secondary (2): Common Apple Cider

Up Next: Heffenweizer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2006, 12:20 AM   #12
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerLuvnGrl
ok now a question about the fruit...if i plan on going with the puree.. do i just put it in the bottom and rack on top? do i have to mix it up or will it just naturally mix?

i was told if i used frozen raspberries i would have to stir it for about a week to make sure it mixed well... just wanna make sure the flavoring goes throughout the whole batch.
Oh yeah. A lot of people use real fruit. I was just comenting that Pumbaa just had some challenging with real fruit. You might want to PM him, he doesn't bite

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 06-06-2006, 01:43 AM   #13
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I've made three batches of fruit ales. The first was with extract. It was just OK. The second was with blueberries. I used a little over two pounds of them (five gallon batches). This came out nice, more like a hint than a real strong flavoring. My current batch is raspberry again, but this time using actual raspberries. I used about four pounds, and the flavor is very good - beery but also a strong fruit taste. Raspberries are pretty versatile and go great in beer.

So you have to decide how strong you would like the fruit taste to be. Three pounds might be a nice middle ground.

This is how I've done it. I've pasteurized my whole fruit - put in a pot with some water, enough to cover them, and heat them to just short of a boil, break the skins, then add them into the secondary. The cut off top of a two liter soda bottle works great as a funnel for this. I never stirred anything, and I in general don't think you should intervene in your brew process any more than is absolutely necessary.

I let them sit in there for a week (you will see how washed out looking the fruit gets), then rerack to a tertiary and let it clear for another week or two.

For the extract batch, I just added the extract into the bottling bucket right out of the bottle. No color from extract I used though, which is one of the things I like about using real fruit.

Finally, if you have not read over this thread, do so - lots of good info here:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=5084

Quick Reply