Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > First Time IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2008, 01:45 AM   #1
Cburke501
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Time IPA

I'm brewing an extract IPA. I had some krausen coming through the hydrolock for the first 48 hrs, but it has trailed off and mellowed out.

Today, I opened the primary to add some Cascades for dry hopping. I noticed that there is a pretty large amount of solid crap floating right on top. It wasn't just foam, it had some serious mass to it. When I dumped the hops in (whole flower) I just let them lay on top of that stuff. Is this abnormal? Fermentation seemed to be going well thus far.

Any help is appreciated

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2008, 02:17 AM   #2
Beerthoven
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think your beer will be ok. The dry hops should sink into the beer once the krausen falls away completely.

I usually give the beer a full 2 or 3 weeks in the primary before racking to a secondary, then add dry hops in the secondary. I'll let the hops sit in the beer for a week or so then bottle.

Primary/Secondary: --
Kegged: #114 Oatmeal Stout, #115 American Amber
Planned: APA, IPA, Nut Brown

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply