Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > First time brew question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 06:48 AM   #1
Greg83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Default First time brew question

Hello everyone. This is my first post on the board and my first brew. I brewed an extract kit that had apricot puree. I was supposed to add the puree to the secondary fermentation but I foolishly added it to the boil. Everything else went very smooth. I was very sanitary with everything and I got the wort down to temperature quickly. I also couldn't figure out how to use the hydrometer so I didn't take a reading at the end of the process. Will the puree that was added early really mess up this brew? Also, is there anyway to take a final reading or is it just going to be a mystery? Before bottling I need to add apricot extract. The fermentation was suppose to e 2 weeks for the primary and then one week for the secondary with the puree. Should I just let it sit for 3 weeks in the primary?

Thanks so much for any help in advance! I really loved the whole process and look forward to future learning and brewing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
ong
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It won't mess anything up. You might get some haze in the beer from pectin, and you'll get less apricot flavor, but the beer will probably be perfectly drinkable.

Oregonians: trade canned goods, homebrew, fresh produce, and more at chowswap.org!

Old 01-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
Greg83
Recipes 

Thanks ONG. I was thinking about getting another can of puree but I also have the extract that I will be adding so I'm sure that's plenty. I wish I can get a final ABV but I doubt its possible without taking a sample. Ill assume its what te kit says it should be. Should I bottle in 2 weeks or give it more time?

Old 01-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
The_Cleveland_Brew_Shop
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Congrats on the first brew!!!

Those types of flavors can be added in the last 10 minutes of boil or in secondary. You will likely get less of an apricot nose in your finished product, however. As for sitting in primary for three weeks, I would not suggest. usually sitting in primary for any period longer than 2 weeks could lead to off-flavors and/or an overly "yeasty" beer. You should go 2 weeks in primary and a week or two in secondary then bottle.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:40 AM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg83
Thanks ONG. I was thinking about getting another can of puree but I also have the extract that I will be adding so I'm sure that's plenty. I wish I can get a final ABV but I doubt its possible without taking a sample. Ill assume its what te kit says it should be. Should I bottle in 2 weeks or give it more time?
Assume the kit's OG
As for timing it depends on the yeast, personally I wouldn't look for FG until day 10-12. Verify its done and then let it sit Ana edition all week to clear and then taste. If no off flavors are detected, package it, otherwise give it another week.

You can keep it in primary with no problems.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 01-10-2013, 03:39 AM   #6
dannyhawkins
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Cleveland_Brew_Shop
Congrats on the first brew!!!

Those types of flavors can be added in the last 10 minutes of boil or in secondary. You will likely get less of an apricot nose in your finished product, however. As for sitting in primary for three weeks, I would not suggest. usually sitting in primary for any period longer than 2 weeks could lead to off-flavors and/or an overly "yeasty" beer. You should go 2 weeks in primary and a week or two in secondary then bottle.
I regularly primary for a month then bottle. It WILL NOT produce "overly yeasty" beer. Some yeast strains produce "yeasty" beer, also high fermentation temperatures can contribute off flavors. The only time I secondary is for bulk aging or flavor additions like your apricot purée. Since you added it to boil there's no need for secondary. Some say secondary will increase chance of infection and its not worth it unless its necessary.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #7
vesestilldrumming
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

if you are going to add the apricot extract then yes I would secondary with it for at least a week. if you arent going to add the extract then you dont need to secondary. leave it in primary for three weeks and check gravity in the fermenter if you have to. no need to use a thief to pull out beer and check gravity. once it reaches FG go ahead and bottle it. secondary is usually only used for adding extracts and flavors like apricot that you said it called for. if you added it in the boil then no need for secondary. hope this helps. RDWAHAHB

Quick Reply