Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > First time 10 gallon brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
Hambone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default First time 10 gallon brew

I normally do 5 gallon extract batches on my stove for ease of time and space. I bought the ingredients to do 2 5 gallon batches of Thunderstruck Pumkin Ale and the LHBS guy mixed all of the grains together. I'm a little worried about trying to seperate the grains and doing two different batches, so I was thinking about doing a 10 gallon batch in my turkey fryer outside. Do I boil for the same amount of time as normal? Do I use the same amount of water to boil? I know these are simple questions and I'm pretty sure I know the answer to them, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
pericles
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Scaling a recipe up won't make THAT much of a difference for grains, especially just if you go from 5-10 gallons. There WILL be a difference in hop utilization though: you'll definitely get a hoppier beer. If you're not looking for that, maybe cut back on your hops by a quarter or a half an ounce? (I'm just spitballing the numbers.)

Kegged: American Wheat
Bottled: Belgian Golden Ale.
Planning: American Amber

Old 09-13-2010, 12:59 AM   #3
superjunior
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

topping off with water on the stove or full boil? try to figure what your boil-off rate will be given the different conditions with the fryer.

Quick Reply