Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > first stout, advice needed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2007, 08:40 PM   #11
JimC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Mashing 1.25lb of oats is going to turn the recipe into an allgrain brew. While you might be able to partial mash that, I think the stuck sparge nightmare would keep me away from it.

As far as AG, this is about what I would translate your recipe to:
10lb 2-row
1.25 lbs oats
.75 lb crystal 120L
.4lbs black patent malt
.4lbs roasted barley

Probably want to do a 20 minute Beta Glucan Rest at 110 for the oats and a 10 minute mash out at 168 to get the grain bed flowing.

About the only way to do an oatmeal stout as an extract brewer is to use Oatmeal Stout Extract kits.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2007, 08:42 PM   #12
tandpbrewing
Recipes 

eek, well I definetly don't have the set up for all-grain, do I have any other options? If not any suggestions in place of the oatmeal? should I just leave it out and add more crystal? I'd like a good mouthfeel though.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:44 PM   #13
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have done a PM with oats and 6-row, and it worked fine. If you were really worried about a stuck sparge, a handful of rice hulls would help.

Technically, adding base malts and performing a PM is required with oats. But I have heard a number of people say that steeping worked well for them. You just won't extract all the 'goodness' out of the oats because enzymes are required to unlock everything (trying not to sound overly technical).

The other consideration when steeping oats is that it will cause a starch haze in the beer, but it is not a concern with stouts since they are opaque to begin with.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:45 PM   #14
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandpbrewing
eek, well I definetly don't have the set up for all-grain, do I have any other options? If not any suggestions in place of the oatmeal? should I just leave it out and add more crystal? I'd like a good mouthfeel though.
You can also try adding some malto-dextrin powder to increase the mouthfeel.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:18 PM   #15
tandpbrewing
Recipes 

okay, so I'm thinking I could handle a PM for the oats, (from reading this article http://www.byo.com/feature/1536.html) how would I convert my recipe to only a partial mash?

Beersmith suggest cutting back the extract to 6.5 lbs and about a pound each of oats and 2-row pale malt and cut the crystal to .75 lbs.

How does that sound? So I would assume that I add the oats and 2-row and then follow the steps in that article? Then do the rest how I usually would except adding the LME late?

Old 06-27-2007, 09:27 PM   #16
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Quote:
Beersmith suggest cutting back the extract to 6.5 lbs and about a pound each of oats and 2-row pale malt and cut the crystal to .75 lbs.

How does that sound? So I would assume that I add the oats and 2-row and then follow the steps in that article? Then do the rest how I usually would except adding the LME late?
Yes, that sounds a lot better to me. I did something fairly similar in my recipe.

Just make sure you get pre-gelatinized flaked oats (from the LHBS) or plain instant oats (at the grocer). If you use quick oats or slow oats, it isn't going to mash as well.

Personally, I like a lot of roasted barley in my stout, so you might want to bump that up a wee bit, too. The only problem is that you *might* need a 3 gal cooler to mash all those grains, unless you mash the 2-row and oats in one vessel and steep the other grains in a separate pot. The 2 gal cooler that is recommended in that BYO article will only mash about 4 lbs of grain max.

Oh, one thing that is not mentioned in that article -- it really helps to put a stainless steel steamer rack at the bottom of the cooler, if you have one.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:34 PM   #17
tandpbrewing
Recipes 

wait, should I be mashing all the grains in there? I was planning on just mashing the oats and 2 row, then I would steep the others the way I normally would.
Also, if I am mashing, I should grind the 2-row right?

Old 06-27-2007, 09:45 PM   #18
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
wait, should I be mashing all the grains in there? I was planning on just mashing the oats and 2 row, then I would steep the others the way I normally would.
Yes, ideally all grains should be mashed if you are doing a mash. If for some reason you can't fit everything in your mash vessel then you can steep crystal and roasted grains.
Also all of your grains need to be crushed. If you go with flaked oats these are already processed and need nothing extra, the reset need crushed.
I did a PM oatmeal stout with 1.25# flaked oats and 2# 6-row. No problem with a stuck sparge. You can also use the bag in the pot or the colander method.
Good luck.

Craig

Old 06-27-2007, 09:46 PM   #19
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Quote:
You COULD do them separately, but it is a lot more effort and it works better if they all go in to the mash.

Quote:
You should crush all the grains. For a full AG mash, I even crush the oatmeal. But I don't recommend that for a PM -- it will make a gummy mess.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:50 PM   #20
JimC
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would use 6-row if you can. Failing that some rice hulls.

Yes, the 2-row needs to be cracked just like for steeping. Don't grind it to a powder, just crack open the hulls. If you are doing a mash, you mite as well mash the rest of you're grains too. The crystal malt will add extra enzymes for the oats and the rest will add more stuff to the grain bed to help prevent the oats from gumming up the sparge.

Quick Reply