Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > first stout, advice needed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
tandpbrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default first stout, advice needed

I plan on brewing my first stout in the next few days (I've done maybe 8-9 other extract w/steeping grains). I am planning on a Oatmeal Licorice Stout, as for style of stout imp, sweet, or dry, I dont know. I would like moderate ABV but probably not imp levels, maybe 6-7ish and a black color.

Here is a recipe I just drew up in beersmith, let me know what i should change to it, I just made this up based on nothing right now, I would like a prominent Licorice flavor, hence the 3/4 stick.

8.5lbs Amber LME (I would do dark but I don't think my LBS has that in bulk)
1.25 lbs oats
.75 lb crystal 120L
.4lbs black patent malt
.4lbs roasted barley
4oz N. Brewer for bittering (60 min)
1.5oz Cascade for flavor (10-15 min)
.5 cascade for aroma (1-5 min)
3/4 stick brewers licorice (60 min boil????)
.25 tsp irish moss (5 min)

I really need all the advice I can get on this. Since its a lower alc % i shouldn't have to worry about the yeast not carbonating after bottling right? (Also I have a freak accident of 10% ABV IPA in secondary right now should I be concerned for this batches carbonation). How long will this need to condition, because of the licorice and the roasted barley quite awhile right?

I'd love to get to the brew shop today to get supplies, thanks for the advice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2007, 07:04 PM   #2
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I would only mention that Cascade hops are versatile and delicious, but they are really over used. Galena, and Kent golding are similar but a little different and distinct. Not a huge point! As for conditioning, a month in the bottle will be well worth the wait. I posted some results pertaining to your other batch on another thread, but i will briefly try to put it here: I had 2 high gravity batches(high enough to be beyond the yeast strain's documented ability, evidenced by a FG of 1.024 or so) that I bottled about 5 weeks ago. Batch A I bottled with 1/4 cup sugar and some dry yeast that I let get started on the priming sugar for an hour or so.(cooled to 75 or so before adding yeast)
Batch B I bottled with 1/4 cup priming sugar no yeast. As of 3 days ago, Batch A had a perfect amount of carbonation, batch B had just the beginnings of a little carbonation. Good Luck! the stout and porter are my favorites to brew, and I will admit they are the easiest and most forgiving if you don't get too crazy!

Old 06-27-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Entirely a matter of preference, but stouts typically have little to no hop flavor or aroma. And I'm not a big fan of Cascade in a stout in any case.

I'd kill the aroma hops entirely, and knock the flavor hops back to no more than 0.5 oz, and use EKG, Fuggles or Willamette instead of Cascade. All will pair better with your N Brewer bittering hops and the licorice flavor, IMHO.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:14 PM   #4
tandpbrewing
Recipes 

That thread wasn't mine, but I did read it. Thanks for the advice, guys. keep it coming.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:17 PM   #5
JimC
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oats have to be mashed with a base malt to convert.

I'll also second the hops. The citrus Cascade doesn't hit me as fitting an oatmeal stout.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:17 PM   #6
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Have you guys ever tried Rogue's Shakespeare Stout? It is the only hop in the beer, and it is amazing.

Not to contradict (for my own stouts I also prefer the more traditional hops you suggest), but it is possible to use Cascade. I think the real issue, as previously mentioned, is keeping the flavour and aroma additions small or none, especially if one wants that licorice taste to be prominent.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:20 PM   #7
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

well said midnight rambler. That is what I was getting at, but I am a fan of doing it your own way, so I did not say it as bluntly. If you would like a stout with tons of Hops go for it. There are actually (if you can believe it) no rules. But you should give some respect to those who went before you and call it a bitter stout or something.(don't ask me) I have to recommend White Labs "Irish Ale" yeast. (no I am not getting kickbacks, that stuff is just so versatile!). Spring for liquid yeast.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:20 PM   #8
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon
I would only mention that Cascade hops are versatile and delicious, but they are really over used. Galena, and Kent golding are similar but a little different and distinct.
Galena is a high-alpha bittering hop, rarely used for flavor or aroma. EKG has a floral, earthy aroma typical of many British ales. I don't think many people would consider either of them to be "similar" to the distinctly citric Cascade.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:26 PM   #9
tandpbrewing
Recipes 

Can someone point me in the direction of how to mash oats? I haven't done any mashing yet. I will definetly revise my hops, and I always use liquid yeast, just forgot to add that in the list up top.

Last edited by tandpbrewing; 06-27-2007 at 07:28 PM.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:36 PM   #10
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike N Brew
Galena is a high-alpha bittering hop, rarely used for flavor or aroma. EKG has a floral, earthy aroma typical of many British ales. I don't think many people would consider either of them to be "similar" to the distinctly citric Cascade.
Absolutely correct, I definitely mis-spoke, they are similar only in so far as all hops are somewhat similar, but side by side they are very different.

Galena worked great in my last stout and were recommended by the brew shop owner as the bittering hop, not for aroma. (.5 oz in 5 gallons) And the Kent golding for aroma, which could easilly be omitted.

Absolutely Cascade Hops are great! No argument! I have just known more than a few brewers to use them exclusively without branching out to try other flavors. They suffer from "Sierra Envy.
My original response was just to encourage thinking. There are no rules, don't allow yourself to be limited just to be true to the style or a recipe.

Quick Reply