Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > First recipe: Belgian Imperial Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2012, 06:09 PM   #11
nberk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Belgian Stouts are a pretty rare breed. I have a batch I'm aging right now in an attempt to make a beer approaching Jolly Pumpkin Madrugada Obscura.

Here's the link to The Brewing Network recipe from CYBI: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-...bscura-177964/

The sour/wild flavor isn't what you were mentioning, but the recipe might be a little closer to what you might consider. I do like the discussion of the recipe formulation during the actual interview when the "kitchen sink" type approach is discussed for this beer. It's definitely worth a listen.

Also, you might want to consider starting your recipe with light malt extract and then getting your color and flavor from dark steeping grains. This will give you some more control of the product than beginning with a dark extract.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 04:18 AM   #12
lwcm
Recipes 

Bottled two weeks ago and cracked the first tester today. Carbed up rather nicely for the short time with a small layer of foam across the top. Tastewise....I realize that I'm crap with taste descriptions. It's tasty but lacks the depth of flavor that I wanted.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #13
drives_a_bike
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 63

give it a few more weeks! I bet it finishes nicely!

On deck: Rye Saison
Primary: Oaked Rye Porter
Secondary: Cow Catcher in the Rye (RyePA)
Secondary: Pinneywick Pale Ale (Honey Basil Double Pale)
Secondary: Xanadu Barleywine 2013

Old 07-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #14
lwcm
Recipes 

I'm definitely going to give this one some time. It's been 5 months and two (almost 3) weeks and I got impatient . With an abv this high I'm expecting it to need some bottle time to settle out. I think that I may try going the other way in my quest and start with a belgian dark strong ale and add some stout-y stuff. I'm trying to make a clone (or close) of Weyebacher's Tiny.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #15
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Holding area for my first attempt at a dubble... which in no way shape or form was a dubble,,, it is most definatly a stout... I will post later.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:53 PM   #16
lwcm
Recipes 

Tried another 12 oz test bottle last night.....yum. While it lacks the deep richness of my favorite BIS (Weyerbacher's Tiny) it is tasty. Next time I'm NOT freaking out over the OG and dumping wort (which I still kick myself for on occasion). There is a definite lack of layered bitterness and sweetness from the roasted malts and unfermented sugars (because I dumped wort like a moron) it tastes very similar to my simple black ale but with a slight belgian-y character to it. What was the surprise was the utter lack of alcohol bite. The 11.8% abv lurks beneath the surface of this smooth sipper like a dark kracken and you don't notice the hit....until you stand up . I may very well sub out some of the standard stout grains like the chocolate or black malt (or both) with something more Belgian like Special B. And see if that works to give me the richness that I was looking for. Stay tuned

Old 08-22-2012, 12:39 AM   #17
sweed
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Sounds good, and my RIS (although still young in bottles) hidesthe alcohol greatly. About the same a yours. I've read special b will add dark fruit/ plums tastes. Which I know a lot of RIS have.

Quick Reply